You Know You're A Fish-Keeper When...

Sophie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So after my other half kindly pointed out that I have been on maternity leave now for just over a week and have done nothing nor achieved anything, we had a little discussion about finding myself something to do while I sit around the house with my swollen feet, not to mention what to do for the rest of my 39 weeks leave.

I've decided to start a fish blog - not just my tanks but a collaboration of all my research I do on here, on other websites, from books and magazines - possibly in the future I will look at doing video tutorials. I won't say too much because I feel I have some fantastic ideas.

It makes sense as when I'm not doing the essential things in life, I am reading my fish books and gaining knowledge that doesn't go anywhere constructive especially as I am not at work selling fish. Along with the help of you guys as proof readers (hint hint) I think I could make a good crack at it.

On a similar note - after some encouragement from others members, I thought I could make a start with one of those iconic "You know you're a something when.." - Just for a giggle. I'll post below what I have started and if anyone has any other ideas, please do add and I can amend the list. Input is greatly appreciated!

You know you're a fish-keeper when...

you read this list and almost every line is true about you.
you watch your fish more than you do your television.
your Christmas card list involves the staff at your LFS too.
you have no qualms when it comes to just dunking your arm into your tanks to pick out that annoying snail or dead leaf.
your first response to "What would you like for your birthday?" is "A giftcard to (insert LFS here)".
your other half knows that "It's me or the fish" would never work with you, as the first and the last time it was said you packed their bags for them.
the towel you have next to the fish, specifically designed to dry your arm after it has been into the tank, is always damp.
you mention to your other half that you need to go shopping and they immediately assume you mean your LFS.
you set your alarm on your day off to feed your fish the same time as you would on a work day.
you spend more time and money on water for your fish than you do yourself.
you can't decide between doing that essential DIY project in the house or expanding your fishroom.
you go away on holiday and find it extremely hard to sleep without the sound of several filtration systems and running water.
your other half's sole purpose in the car home from the LFS is to protect the fish with his/her life and make their journey home as stress free as possible.
you pay more attention to your fishes nutrition and diet than you do your own.
you have some money left over from payday and the first thought is what upgrade you can make to your tank.
your fish has just spawned and the first thing you do is take pictures on post on TFF.
the mouthful of fish water you have just ingested from the siphon doesn't phase you in the slightest.
your hands are in the fish tank more than the kitchen sink.
you plan your holidays and road trips to include as many fish stores as possible.
your furniture is positioned around your aquariums, not the aquariums around the furniture.
you've bribed the kids with sweets and/or money so they don't tell your other half about your new purchase.
you give advice to the staff at your LFS.
your other half knows exactly where to find you if you're not at home nor at work.
you'd rather clean your tanks than your house.
your kids have commented how you seem to love your fish more than them.
you've called into work sick as you need to stay home for a fish emergency.
you know everyone at your LFS by their first names.
you shop at fish stores more than clothing/food stores.
your freezer has more fish food than food for you.
your LFS knows you by your first name.
you spend more on your fish than you do yourself.
you spend more time preparing the fish food than you do your own.
you have a fish or something aquatically related as your background on the computer/mobile phone.
you moved out in the first place just so you could get more fish tanks.
the first thing you do when you arrive home is greet the fish instead of your other half or kids.
your electric company send you Christmas gifts for being such a good customer.
your neighbours have made enquiries as to what exactly do you 'grow' with those intense lights.
you are known to all your non fishy friends as "the fish guy/girl".
you ask your relatives to look after the fish while you go away on holiday - they can expect pages of directions on what to do and how much to feed, emergency contact numbers and intricate instructions on how 'Bubbles' likes his food this way.
you put your fingers through your hair and find fish flake.
you can't grow so much as a weed in your garden, but your planted aquarium is the talk of the town.
you would rather get power filters than power tools for your birthday.
you baby talk your fish.
you're buying several different species of fish at a LFS and the employee asks "What size is the tank?" - your response "Which one?"
the only books you own are about fish keeping, fish biology and anything aquatic.
you convince your other half to have a clean out and to de-clutter, then conveniently place that new tank into the new found space.
your day to day diary is full of dates of water tests and water changes.
customers at your LFS start to believe you work there.
your bedtime reading material is Pratical Fishkeeping.
you have to move buckets and water change equipment just to get into the shower.
you tell your other half you are expecting a delivery and they say they will put it safely next to the aquarium.
you have at least one subscription to a fish magazine.
you have www.fishforums.net as your homepage and spend more time checking your notifications there than you would do on any other social media site or even your personal email.
the first thing you do when you log onto the computer is check TFF.

So there we have it, sorry it's a bit lengthy. I got carried away.
Hope you enjoy and please do comment!

TallTree01 said:
Love it!
I'm only missing a few of them.
biggrin.png

Yay :)
I'm so pleased.
Nothing you can think of to improve upon?

This is hilarious-so true! 

I love it! SOOO many apply to me. The lines about the arm in the tank and the towel next to it made me crack up!

One line I have is : You only go to public aquariums to get ideas.

Haha yes I've only had fish three months and already a shocking number of these apply!
I would add "You go to sleep and dream about fish".  A few days ago I dreamed I got all excited because I found a nice looking aquatic moss growing in my garden :blush:

I got one to add,
you try out fish food to see whether it is tasty or not.
I'm actually addicted I think. The frozen bloodworms were my least favorite and shrimp pellets were the best by far! :drool:

I'm actually addicted I think. The frozen bloodworms were my least favorite and shrimp pellets were the best by far

Man, you might be Australian, but this is not "Bush Tucker". You cannot eat fish food.

TallTree01 said:
I got one to add,
I'm actually addicted I think. The frozen bloodworms were my least favorite and shrimp pellets were the best by far!
drool.gif

Actually made my stomach churn! Bahaa.

Try it! It's great! I've yet to try the freeze dried tablets. Itll be next on the menu though bahaha!
* do not read the following if squeamish.
One time, I was hungry and a little drunk ( ;) ) . I was with a mate and I asked him to go get me a snack. He come back with the cricket box. He dared me and me being drunk and all I ate a live cricket. The result, not terrible. If I was starving I would eat them again. :p

I actually do have a towel I double as a towel for dunking my hand in the tank, but it's primary purpose is as a sleeping mask to external lights during the day (my sleep time).

My mom always gets mad she cant turn on my bedroom lights during the day because I yell at her not to wake up the fish.

I actually don't like sticking my arm in the tank because I fear any sort of contaminants that may be on my arms such as from soap or pesticides or shampoo getting in the water.

I'm going to be leaving for a week during 4th of July in the states, and I'm preparing my multi-page paper on how to take care of the fish for my mom. @_@

Somehow I think my garden outside is doing fantastic because of my fish water, yet the plants in my fish tank are not doing so well. D: The java fern and anubais and wisteria are the only ones growing vigorously.

What's that comment about the electric company??? :p I'd probably use less electricity by not having fish tanks.

or you just don't go on holiday as nobody else can look after the fish as well as you do! You know that no matter how in depth you write out instructions-they are never getting looked at!

DreamertK said:
I actually do have a towel I double as a towel for dunking my hand in the tank, but it's primary purpose is as a sleeping mask to external lights during the day (my sleep time).

My mom always gets mad she cant turn on my bedroom lights during the day because I yell at her not to wake up the fish.

I actually don't like sticking my arm in the tank because I fear any sort of contaminants that may be on my arms such as from soap or pesticides or shampoo getting in the water.

I'm going to be leaving for a week during 4th of July in the states, and I'm preparing my multi-page paper on how to take care of the fish for my mom. @_@

Somehow I think my garden outside is doing fantastic because of my fish water, yet the plants in my fish tank are not doing so well. D: The java fern and anubais and wisteria are the only ones growing vigorously.

What's that comment about the electric company???
tongue2.gif
I'd probably use less electricity by not having fish tanks.

Was implied that you use so much electricity with the fish tanks that the electric companies make money from you :p

With the contaminants I just make sure I don't wear perfume or anything. The soap used in the shower gets scrubbed off before you get out (I hope aha) and it'll be minuscule traces so the volume of water in the tank would dilute it so it'd be harmless. I don't wash my hands with soap before I dunk in and if I have after I used the loo or something I scrub with warm plain water just to make sure :p
Ny82 said:
or you just don't go on holiday as nobody else can look after the fish as well as you do! You know that no matter how in depth you write out instructions-they are never getting looked at!

.. you choose not to go on holiday because you know nobody else will care for those fish as well as you do and there is bound to be an accident.

:p

This is a cute list! Must say I saw TT's add-on and thought...well...I haven't done that yet. A little over the top TT! lol I did think of something to add but wording it to fit your list just isn't coming to mind. When it comes time for me to do aquarium maintenance and my kids hear me yelling...they instinctively yell back What is missing now?? They don't ask what is wrong...just what do they help look for. And we don't stop till we find it! Stuff walks away around here too easily.

That's brightened my Sunday morning, very funny and very true, just got one to add, When the answer to your other half's question is, It's not just a fish

Most reactions

Back