Yo-yo Loach

Zeoth

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got a small 10gal with 4 harlequin Rasboras. 2 days ago I bought a Yo-Yo Loach and added him to the tank. Anyways ever since I got him he's been hiding in a shell decor, and i haven't seen him out since. What's going on here?

Tank Stats:
Ph 7.3
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

whats going on is
the tank is too small (yoyo's can reach upwards of 8inches)
and he is alone, they are gregarious and need to be in groups.

take my advise and return him

Yeah i would take him back thats a very small tank for a clown loach. its like asking you to live in a bathroom. As for him hiding they tend to do that and even dissapear for short periods

Yeah i would take him back thats a very small tank for a clown loach. its like asking you to live in a bathroom. As for him hiding they tend to do that and even dissapear for short periods
were talking about a yoyo loach, although I do agree it needs a larger sized tank and more yoyos.

Drew

Oh I see.. :sad: Would Kuhli loaches be able to fit in there? It's really kind of empty and I absoulutly insist on adding some kind of loach. If you people can reccomend be some then that would be great.

I'll have to fit in the time to take it back to my LFS. -_-

personally I'd say not to kuhlies, but others would say yes.
I would say that either dwarf loaches Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki
or two stripe loaches Botia rostrata would be suitable.
remember loaches are gregarious and need to be in groups, 3 would be the min group size
and that would be at the top limit of the 10G stock level

WAIT! I think i saw these when i got the Yo-yo Loach. Is one of thier commen names the Zebra Loach?

Zebra Loaches are usually Botia striata. They're OK in a 10 when they're young, but they really should have at least a 20 long when they get full grown - they top out around 4", usually a little less - a 36" tank would be even better. Loaches.com has B. Rostrata topping out around 8", and while they tend to overestimate in my experience, that's still way to big for any tank less than 4' long.

I'd skip the Dwarf Chain Loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) in a 10 too. I think they be better off in a 20 or more, and at the price they command, you really ought to have a tank that's easy to keep stable, which a 10 isn't. They're also super active if you get a good group of them and they have a nicely planted environment with enough swimming room. Still, reasonable people could disagree on whether they're suitable, and the Wolf is certainly reasonable. :good:

IMHO, Kuhlis or black kuhlis are your best bet. Make sure you have absolutely no sharp edges in the tank - I've had kuhlis literally gut themselves on a sharp rock. Also, make sure you have a soft bottom so they can dig.

WAIT! I think i saw these when i got the Yo-yo Loach. Is one of thier commen names the Zebra Loach?

I'd skip the Dwarf Chain Loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) in a 10 too.

IMHO, Kuhlis or black kuhlis are your best bet. Make sure you have absolutely no sharp edges in the tank - I've had kuhlis literally gut themselves on a sharp rock. Also, make sure you have a soft bottom so they can dig.

I see soo? black kuhlis it is then? Anyone dissagree? :/

I wouldnt put the black kuhlis in a ten...its "iffy" if you ask me.

Im with wolf on the dwarf botias, full of personality and stay a small size.

Drew

yoyo loaches are much more happier in groups but i think the tank size is fine becasue i have two of them and a blue gourami in a 10 gallon and there fine. When i get some other fish in the 29 gallon though i may transport them to it based on what im hearing here.

I would say khulies at a push but definitely not Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki as small as they are. I don’t think you’ll get the best of out of them in a small tank, they need to be in a decent size group with room zip about chasing each other.

yoyo loaches are much more happier in groups but i think the tank size is fine becasue i have two of them and a blue gourami in a 10 gallon and there fine. When i get some other fish in the 29 gallon though i may transport them to it based on what im hearing here.

I had 1 yoyo in a 10 gal for a while. Upgraded to a 75 gal and his behavior is completely different. So I would definitely advise against putting any botia in a 10 gal.

As an aside, botia rostrata are essentially the same as botia almorhae and botia histrionica.

As an aside, botia rostrata are essentially the same as botia almorhae and botia histrionica.
no they are not
B.rostrata only grow to 3 inches, at lest the five I've had for nearly 3 years have only reached that.
the 5 b.histronica I own also have not grown above 3 inch but I've only had them a few months so can't say they won't grow a bit more.
the B.almorhae, I kept, on the other hand surpassed 8 inches.

Most reactions

Back