Yellow Water

If you had boiled the bogwood (long as it would fit in a saucepan) before putting it in the tank, it wouldnt have gone yellow.

Your water has "yellowed" due to the tanin that has seeped from your bogwood, this is quite natural. Although it can look as if someone has piddled into your tank, it is quite harmless. The only way to stop this happening is regular water changes - though I do not recommend that you change large quantities of tank water too often, sort of defeats the object of maturing your water.
You could try using carbon in your filter - as carbon is amazing for removing chemicals & other contaminants - but has a limited life span with no means to know that it has stopped working (some people claim that it can unload nasty chemicals back into the aquarium if left in too long)I guess that the yellowing is something you'll have to live with.

Your water has "yellowed" due to the tanin that has seeped from your bogwood, this is quite natural. Although it can look as if someone has piddled into your tank, it is quite harmless. The only way to stop this happening is regular water changes - though I do not recommend that you change large quantities of tank water too often, sort of defeats the object of maturing your water.
You could try using carbon in your filter - as carbon is amazing for removing chemicals & other contaminants - but has a limited life span with no means to know that it has stopped working (some people claim that it can unload nasty chemicals back into the aquarium if left in too long)I guess that the yellowing is something you'll have to live with.

it dosent matter how many water changes you do the benifical bacteria is growing in the filter media not the water, How can bacteria grow on water its got no surface area.

as said the colour is from tannins coming out of the wood. these can lower pH slightly and are supposed to have good healing properties for fish.... this will not harm the fish in any way and may even be a good thing for them. i personally love a dark and moody tank but its not everyones cup of tea. if you want it clear again remove the wood and boil it changing the water until it stays clear. this however wont remove all of the tannins but quite a lot, i have a piece of wood thats over 2 years old and still stains the water. if the wood is too big to boil then you can store it in a tub and add boiling/ hot water and leave it for a few weeks. the quickest way is to leave it where it is and add carbon in your filter, this will remove the tannins and keep the water clear, when the water starts to go off colour again then replace the carbon. many people will say that carbon only lasts a week or so but this is not true it will last as long as it takes to become totally saturated in particles its removed from the water and can store no more. it will not leach stuff back into the tank as people will say after a week. think of it this way when the carbon is full it cant store anymore so the tannins start to return in the water, replace the carbon and it will clear again. also large water changes are not a bad thing as water doesnt mature the filter media matures. all it will do is stress the fish a bit but they will be gratefull for the fresh water :good:

(some people claim that it can unload nasty chemicals back into the aquarium if left in too long)

This is actually true.

Bignose said here (post number 3):

First of all, carbon is only truly useful for about a day or two. After that, it has become saturated and really doesn't take up much more. In fact, the bonds between what is adsorbed by the carbon and the carbon itself are reversible, and the potential exists for the adsorbants to be releases back into the tank. So, to really get get the most out of carbon, you have to change it every few days or so.

I used to have yellowish water as well from my ironwood. It didn't seem to affect the fish in any way and it went away after a while. Actually I kinda forgot about it til you mentioned it!

ok thanks for info took wood out changed fillter media 40%water change all looking ok nice and clear.....and last night my guppy had 45 babbies soo must b ok thanks again :good:

Most reactions

Back