Yellow Mollie turned almost white

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sexy Rexy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have 6 yellow Mollies and in the past few weeks one of them has lost it’s yellow color to the point that it is almost white. It’s overall health appears to be fine as it eats well and swims just as actively as all of the others. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi all,
I have 6 yellow Mollies and in the past few weeks one of them has lost it’s yellow color to the point that it is almost white. It’s overall health appears to be fine as it eats well and swims just as actively as all of the others. Has anyone else experienced this?
probably just growing up, photos?

This Mollie was a bright yellow and black but has now faded to a very pale color. It seems to be healthy in all other respects.
790E8C84-76E6-4298-AFAF-9744DA8492A1.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A33F462-F06E-4226-9662-7E258D267E56.jpeg
    4A33F462-F06E-4226-9662-7E258D267E56.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 43
Thanks sgooosh. She’s been like this for a few weeks and like I said, no other issues other than the loss of coloring.
Hello! That looks like a platy, not a molly! While similar, the body shapes and level of aggression are different. Platys tend to be short and less aggressive while mollies are long and slender (slightly rounded) and a bit more aggressive. Both are community fish.

She looks fine! When fish begin to feel comfortable and secure in their environment, they begin to show their true colors.

For example, my dalmatian molly came from the store very white with little black spots. Now, she is covered in black spots! Same with my bumblebee platy.

You should only be alarmed when they begin to stop eating, hide away from the rest of the fish, or show signs of lethargy.

Hello! That looks like a platy, not a molly! While similar, the body shapes and level of aggression are different. Platys tend to be short and less aggressive while mollies are long and slender (slightly rounded) and a bit more aggressive. Both are community fish.

She looks fine! When fish begin to feel comfortable and secure in their environment, they begin to show their true colors.

For example, my dalmatian molly came from the store very white with little black spots. Now, she is covered in black spots! Same with my bumblebee platy.

You should only be alarmed when they begin to stop eating, hide away from the rest of the fish, or show signs of lethargy.
yeah. platies are also more translucent

Hi all,
Hi all,
I’ve experienced this before and have used aquatic salt to fix the problem. Sometimes fish lose their color when they’re under stress. Also... If you have too many fish in a fish tank (overcrowded) the fish get stressed so if that’s something you currently have going on... I’d get another fish tank just to avoid the stress on them. Make sure water temperature is right as well because they lose color when the heater isn’t set to the temperature they require.

You can find aquarium salt at Walmart for like $3 if you don’t already have some. ✨

I’ve experienced this before and have used aquatic salt to fix the problem. Sometimes fish lose their color when they’re under stress. Also... If you have too many fish in a fish tank (overcrowded) the fish get stressed so if that’s something you currently have going on... I’d get another fish tank just to avoid the stress on them. Make sure water temperature is right as well because they lose color when the heater isn’t set to the temperature they require.

You can find aquarium salt at Walmart for like $3 if you don’t already have some. ✨
I have heard of it too but the fish should have clamped fins if it is truly that stressed. Based on the pic, I really think it is just maturing and developing new colors.

Is the tank cycled?
What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

Most reactions

Back