Yellow Lab Is A Fussy Eater

Zhoo

Reaction score
Am I doing it wrong?

He does not seem to like anything. Spits out blood worms and brine shrimp. Does not seem to care about cichlid pellets. What do I feed him? I have had him for well over a month right now so he must be snacking on something...

As with many Rift Lake cichlids, mine will snack on any excess algae and stuff like that as well as what I feed them. Is he looking thin at all? If he is lean but has a rounded belly, then you probably don't have much to worry about for the moment. Mine feed well on Hikari Excell (small pellets whole and medium ones broken up), "cichlid mix" by Ruto and plain, old flakes. Agreed, they are messy eaters and will spit out food often, only to grab it again. Might be an environmental factor that's putting him off food maybe? Tank mates, water params, tank size, decor?

Try Sinking Sprinula Pellet's (by HBH). Mine really like those. Also, HBH "African Attack" ( also a sinking pellet). Labs are shy fish, and if the pellets you are feeding them float, then he won't eat them. They feel insecure swimming out into the open.

Labs are herbivores, so that is probably the reason he isn't eating brine shrimp or blood worms. Try spirulina flakes. He'll probably eat those :good: .

He shares a temporary tank with a couple of more outgoing guys, such as a Mel Auratus and what I believe to be a Nimbochromis livingstonii and an OB peacock who devour anything that drops into the tank. Yes, sinking pellets are a good idea. For some reason the sinking type does not seem to be very popular but I'm sure big al has it. He must have been sharing veggie rounds with my plec Freddie after the lights were off :lol:

Labs are herbivores, so that is probably the reason he isn't eating brine shrimp or blood worms. Try spirulina flakes. He'll probably eat those :good: .
Actually, yellow labs are one of the few omnivore, and crustaceans do make up part of their natural diet. kribensis12 is probably right about the cause as I also observed the same when I get new fish.

He shares a temporary tank with a couple of more outgoing guys, such as a Mel Auratus and what I believe to be a Nimbochromis livingstonii and an OB peacock.
The auratus and livingstonii are both very nasty, with the livingstonii potentially being quite a large fish too (10-11+ inch). They are incompatible, so please be very careful!

Actually, yellow labs are one of the few omnivore, and crustaceans do make up part of their natural diet. kribensis12 is probably right about the cause as I also observed the same when I get new fish.

He shares a temporary tank with a couple of more outgoing guys, such as a Mel Auratus and what I believe to be a Nimbochromis livingstonii and an OB peacock.
The auratus and livingstonii are both very nasty, with the livingstonii potentially being quite a large fish too (10-11+ inch). They are incompatible, so please be very careful!

QFT

Sigh...yeah...that's what happens when one peaks into a 'mixed cichlid tank' and goes, oh what a cute spotty fish! Now I try to do my research. He may be a venustus too, I can't tell them apart. He is only about 2" long at the moment and has no other colors except light grey with dark brown spots. Yeah, both of the little nasties are waiting for a new home...it's still cycling..

Most reactions

Back