Yay Or Nay

guidedbyechoes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
30 gallon long with. Pair of German rams. Pearl Gourami. 3 Variatus Platies and some tetras(undecided opinions welcomed), 6 pygmy cories. 4 shrimp and some mystery snails.

Fluorite substrate covered by larger smooth gravel. Small Driftwood attached to slate. 3 caves.

Plants:
Java moss
hornwort
Amazon swords
Black sword
micro sword
dwarf hair-grass

Lighting:
1x65 PC

Filtration :
Marinehead biowheel 30 gal model

Heater: 200 watts All glass, Overkill I know.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Any interjections or alterations would be helpful. :good:

Is this a set up you are about to purchase or one you already own?

If it were me, I would reduce the amount of different species you have, and concentrate on only a couple instead - it can look far more interesting with larger groups of shoaling fish and one or two 'pet' fish. This also adds the possibility of breeding with some fish, and although the fry may become fish food it provides a fascinating natural look to the tank.

I like your pick of fish, I once had a pearl gourami that lived for 9 years - they are brilliant fish.

Regards,
Paul

I like the selection of plants in there and none of your proposed selection would have any problems with digging them up etc, the pair of rams might start breeding if your water is soft enough.

Im not sure about the gourami though, just doenst seem to suit, then again it might finish the whole lot beautifully.

Also the platies will breed manically with the plant life and you will have huge amounts of fry.

Basic C02 might be a bonus too, as you are just over the 2WPG rule.

Sounds a great setup btw

Chris

Is this a set up you are about to purchase or one you already own?

If it were me, I would reduce the amount of different species you have, and concentrate on only a couple instead - it can look far more interesting with larger groups of shoaling fish and one or two 'pet' fish. This also adds the possibility of breeding with some fish, and although the fry may become fish food it provides a fascinating natural look to the tank.

I like your pick of fish, I once had a pearl gourami that lived for 9 years - they are brilliant fish.

Regards,
Paul

So far I have most of the hardware out of that I still need the lighting and a stand. I have not purchased anything living so far. I also forgot to mention I have a CO2 system that I was using in my 25 gallon high. But I'm most likely going to shut it down or use it for breeding.

Yeah but I can't decide between the rams or the gorami. They are both quite nice looking fish. I have only seen the gourami out of the two larger ones I am looking into. But the pictures of the germans make them look extremly attractive.

I like the selection of plants in there and none of your proposed selection would have any problems with digging them up etc, the pair of rams might start breeding if your water is soft enough.

Im not sure about the gourami though, just doenst seem to suit, then again it might finish the whole lot beautifully.

Also the platies will breed manically with the plant life and you will have huge amounts of fry.

Basic C02 might be a bonus too, as you are just over the 2WPG rule.

Sounds a great setup btw

Chris

I just know it fits the south American theme and a website said they would make good tank mates. I initially wanted to do an all cichlid tank but they get filled quickly and the aggression factor for most means 6 fish and lots of reorganizing.

As for the platies I have a tank freed up. I can possibly trade the fry for other things I need. My lfs buys locally.

Thats certainly true, the rams are lovely, I had a pair a few years ago and they were beautiful. Gave all the young to my LFS in exchange for frozen bloodworm.

With regard to cichlids, Apistos are lovely too.... :rolleyes: You could go on forever if not careful

Chris

Thats certainly true, the rams are lovely, I had a pair a few years ago and they were beautiful. Gave all the young to my LFS in exchange for frozen bloodworm.

With regard to cichlids, Apistos are lovely too.... :rolleyes: You could go on forever if not careful

Chris

but apistos are from africa and that would throw my whole plan off :unsure:

No worries, anyway the reason i suggested them was of there beautiful colouration.

Still they suit some setups wonderfully and others not so well.

Having to choose is always difficult.

Chris

No worries, anyway the reason i suggested them was of there beautiful colouration.

Still they suit some setups wonderfully and others not so well.

Having to choose is always difficult.

Chris

Is there any reason terriotry or aggression wise that I should alter my plans?

i wouldnt say so, the shrimp might get nibbled on by the rams if they breed but everything will be pretty docile.

Chris

Most reactions

Back