Wow...

fancies don't do well in ponds in the UK, don't kno if the climate difference makes it OK where you live but make sure you check before hand.

they may have a go at the plants but if you put literally shed loads of elodea densa or something like that then they won't do too much damage to them, remember the plants aren't there to look pretty but to assist in filtration and nitrate reduction. :good:

I don't know about the US, but in the UK it is a criminal offence to introduce goldfish (common or otherwise) into a wild pond. Garden ponds are ok if man made, but ponds created by nature aren't. Check your local legislation before considering this. The glodie will eat killifish later, as goldies grow large given space (my brood stock used to be arround 18inches when I bred them) and the UK bans them from introduction into wild ponds because they are an invasive species.

Yes goldies will eat plants. The trick is to use things like crypts, as they have a bitter taste. After trying a few the fish learn this and leave them alone ;)

HTH
Rabbut

I don't know about the US, but in the UK it is a criminal offence to introduce goldfish (common or otherwise) into a wild pond. Garden ponds are ok if man made, but ponds created by nature aren't. Check your local legislation before considering this. The glodie will eat killifish later, as goldies grow large given space (my brood stock used to be arround 18inches when I bred them) and the UK bans them from introduction into wild ponds because they are an invasive species.

Yes goldies will eat plants. The trick is to use things like crypts, as they have a bitter taste. After trying a few the fish learn this and leave them alone ;)

HTH
Rabbut

Wow, good to know. I thought better of the idea anyway. There's an alligator that's seen frequenting the pond that would probably make lunch of the fancy goldfish.

Reading up on crypts...says they like acidic water. The PH right now is 8.4. They probably wouldn't do too well unless I manage to get that down significantly eh?

Reading up on crypts...says they like acidic water. The PH right now is 8.4. They probably wouldn't do too well unless I manage to get that down significantly eh?

I've kept them at pH 7.5 before no problems, but granted thats a long way off 8.4..... Might be one for the planted tank sub-forum guys. :good:

I did 2 10% water changes, 3 hours apart tonight. It took the PH from 8.4 to 8.0 - its still pretty hard to read the nitrate but it looks slightly darker red than the 40ppm...although higher than 40 looks like it fades to pink before going purple at 180... Pretty hard to read those higher levels.

Oh, and replaced the biowheel...and rinsed out his filter cartridge. Ughhh....so nasty. My friend said that at least there weren't worms growing on it this time. :eek:

One of his wild killifish had a white grain of something on its bottom lip...most likely ick. I'm hoping it doesn't spread to the other fish. I dn't own any medications for that, and I probably won't be going over his house again for at least a week, if not 2 or 3. -_-

worms growing on the media??? ewwwwwwwwwwww :sick:

well glad you've started and are doing something now, fingers crossed for the killifish, at least if the filter is functioning again now then the water should be relatively clean.

what you might want to do when you next go round is add a little aquarium salt, i don't often advise using it because some people think it's a magic cure all and it really isn't, however what it does do is reduces the toxicity of nitrate to the fish, so if there's high nitrate then it could help. :good:

worms growing on the media??? ewwwwwwwwwwww :sick:

well glad you've started and are doing something now, fingers crossed for the killifish, at least if the filter is functioning again now then the water should be relatively clean.

what you might want to do when you next go round is add a little aquarium salt, i don't often advise using it because some people think it's a magic cure all and it really isn't, however what it does do is reduces the toxicity of nitrate to the fish, so if there's high nitrate then it could help. :good:

I was going to but I think his tap water already has a little bit of salinity to it. Hes got this elaborate water purification/conditioning unit in his garage cause they use well water and florida well water is some nasty stuff. He doesn't believe me but I can taste the salt in it. lol That and I was afraid of changing too much too fast. I fed the Killifish some of my New Life Spectrum "Thera" food pellets. They're high in garlic to boost the immune system. Not sure if it will help with ick. Between the two water changes I used about 2.5 tspns of Neutral Regulator as my dechlorinator.

ah fair enough, if you felt that way inclined you could test the salinity using a hydrometer, can pick up cheap plastic or glass one's for just a couple of quid from any marine lfs, they're not desperately accurate but should give an idea.

well if you can't get treatment to the tank now then it stands to reason that the best you can do is get the fish's immune system to the healthiest point possible and the water as clean as possible. Unfortunately white spot is a parasite and they will die from it if left untreated, but by getting their natural defences in order you may be able to postpone it taking hold until you next get to the tank.

don't panic though, not even got a confirmed diagnosis yet, i've thought fish have white spot befopre only to realise it's either a natural marking, a scrape where they've knocked into an ornament or just a grain of sand, might be something else :dunno:

:/

oh dear, if that's the case and you're sure it's ich I'd try and get some meds into the tank asap. it';s not one of those things that'll just go away if you keep the water clean and the fish healthy

Reading that just slowly adjusting the tank heater to be over 86 degrees can kill ich off. Anyone have success with that? I know the goldfish is supposed to be a coldwater fish...will temps that high hurt the goldfish?

is it just on the lip or is the whole fish coverd in little spots?
if its just on the lip may be a simple case of mouth rot/fungus.
and very easy to cure

is it just on the lip or is the whole fish coverd in little spots?
if its just on the lip may be a simple case of mouth rot/fungus.
and very easy to cure

Just on the lip as far as I could tell. I was having a hard time seeing the fish cause it was moving pretty fast whenever I tried to get a look at it, and the water was pretty murky from me messing with the filter and siphoning the gravel.

One of the things the wikipedia page for ich says is
"Vacuuming the surface of the gravel with a siphon device can remove the parasite at cyst stage. Try not to stir up the water too much as it just blows the cysts all over."

I'm afraid that I was stirring things up pretty good last night. :unsure:

Most reactions

Back