The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
In the process of hunting for a 4 foot tank and the one that seems to tick most boxes for me is an Aquasys 300 and there seems to be a couple for sale at the moment second hand at good prices. The one nearest to me and slightly more expensive has a chip in one of the side panes of glass, first reaction is leave it but thought I'd get some other opinions.

For reference its 12mm glass and a rimless tank.

IMG_1976.jpg

What do you think?

Wills

Depending on where it is I would carefully sand the edges smooth with a fine grit wet/dry sand paper to remove any sharp angles that might become stress risers.

If it is at the top, then yes, I would buy it and trust it.

If it is on a seam, then yes, I would buy it and fill it in my garage, where it couldn't pose any real risk if it burst.
In the process of hunting for a 4 foot tank and the one that seems to tick most boxes for me is an Aquasys 300 and there seems to be a couple for sale at the moment second hand at good prices. The one nearest to me and slightly more expensive has a chip in one of the side panes of glass, first reaction is leave it but thought I'd get some other opinions.

For reference its 12mm glass and a rimless tank.

View attachment 149121

What do you think?

Wills
what Barney says

Depending on where it is I would carefully sand the edges smooth with a fine grit wet/dry sand paper to remove any sharp angles that might become stress risers.
Thanks I was thinking the same or I was wondering about filling it with some epoxy and sand it smooth? It’s not going to ever be in contact with water so think it’s safe enough?

Thanks I was thinking the same or I was wondering about filling it with some epoxy and sand it smooth? It’s not going to ever be in contact with water so think it’s safe enough?
I would sand it smooth first and then fill if you want to (probably not necessary). Any sharp angles in the chip could act as a stress riser, this means that any force or pressure put into the glass gets concentrated into that small area. Filling with epoxy first runs the risk of there still being stress risers there.

If you have seen a little chip in a car windscreen that has suddenly turned into a big crack after going over a bump you will know what I mean.

Honestly on 12mm glass it will probably all be fine and this is just overkill. Personally though if it was me I would sleep a little better if I took some 600grit wet sand paper to it for a few minutes just to smooth it out.

thanks to all who posted here. I would not have purchased a tank with any kind of crack whatsoever & then wept bitter for at least a month upon learning it was fixable. 👍

Most reactions

Back