Would This Be Cruel?

emzyp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ive never seen my male flare before, and wondered if he could, so i got a small mirror and held it to the side of the tank, and he flared and got all macho.

could i keep the mirror there or would that be really cruel (its the size of a drinking mat) cos its so amazing seeing him do that

It would cause stress if he were to be flaring at his reflection for long periods. Ocassional flaring is good, according to what I've read, but constant stress won't be good for him.

Not sure , but i think i remember something about them getting well stressed when that is done, imagine thinking you are about to have a fight all the time, could be abit stressful :lol: , i might be wrong, but i am sure you will find out.

i flare mine for around 5 minutes every other day, but for the mirror to always be there would be too much stress

I wouldn't do it..... but i'm sure they would get used to it over time. No different than a divided tank.

5 or 10 mins a day wont do any harm. The males we have in divided tanks don't see the mirror but the singletons do. I think it's good to get them excercising a bit, as long as you don't overdo it and stress them out.

Most reactions

Back