Would There Be A Need For Something Like This?

Trance2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=...281456&&An=text

281456_sk_md.jpg

spacer.gif

The Back-UPS ES series provides battery backup for your home computers in case of power failure. They also protect your connected equipment from damaging surges and spikes that travel over utility and phone/fax lines.† And in the event of extended power outages, the included PowerChute Personal Edition software saves your open files and gracefully shuts down your system.

Each unit offers a total of 8 power outlets (4 with battery backup plus surge protection, 4 with surge protection only). USB connectivity is compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and Mac OS X 10.2 or higher. Back-UPS models are backed by manufacturer's 3-year limited warranty and a $75,000 connected-equipment warranty. † Note: The BE650R model also offers additional protection for network (Ethernet) and coax lines

For aquarium use?

i have surge protection on my tank too however i see no need unless your area is prone to large power cuts
for the battery backup

I do to, but this one claims to go on after the power goes out? I think but it does not specify the ammount of time. There is one priced at 50 dollars that gives you 15 minutes of backup.

i have surge protection on my tank too however i see no need unless your area is prone to large power cuts
for the battery backup

I got it when I was on a electric meter, when I forgot to put money in the leky went off now im on quarterly and I have nothing to worry about but I still use them on tanks and pcs.

Well in september this year the power went out for 6 -8 hours.

I did buy a UPS system for my tanks when last year there was predicted an ice storm. I did it mainly since I am lazy, but there are plenty of methods to keep a tank fine for several hours if the power should happen to go out. You can pour water through the filters, wrap the tank in towels to keep it warm, etc. etc.

What good is 15 mins? That is 15 minutes of computer time, there is no way your fish tank should use as much power as a computer would so 15 minutes of computer time has to be around an hour or 2 of real time. If this summer you expect brownouts or something like that 2 hours could be enough to get over the hump and if you are lazy like me you won't have to worry then.

p.s. regarding that ice storm, my power went out for like 2 hours, but across the state they got a lot more ice, and my fiance's parents lost power for a whole week. They didn't have a fishtank, but in order to water their donkey and horses they had to melt ice on their barbecue grill.

What good is 15 mins? That is 15 minutes of computer time, there is no way your fish tank should use as much power as a computer would so 15 minutes of computer time has to be around an hour or 2 of real time. If this summer you expect brownouts or something like that 2 hours could be enough to get over the hump and if you are lazy like me you won't have to worry then.

For my PC's I have a large battery back up, says its good for an hour, and with a 650w tower and two 24" dell lcd monitors, the router and cable modem it will last an hour and 15 minutes.

Without the lights on in the tank the 15 minutes could be stretched to probably 3 hours, but you would have to test to be sure. depending on how much your heater has to come on.

I would only get one if your area loses power often or is in a brownout zone.

Ok I work on computers, copiers, blah blah blah a UPS is designed to give you time to shut down a system or server or to keep you up during blinks. Here is the issue they only last about 15 mins when they are NEW after a few years you are down to about 5 mins. The replacement batteries are almost as much as a new UPS. This is not going to do you much good at all for something like a winter storm. They do make devices to keep up areation in the tank during power outages. They also don't cost as much. I (from a techs stand point) don't recommend the UPS, it's just not worth the money for what you are doing. However surge protection is a very wise investment.

Hi. I've posted this before, but this is what i use: http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true

It will last longer than a UPS, can be made to last longer by using car/boat/RV batteries etc. Can be charged in the car and can also be of other use in the event of a power outage. I know it's a little more expensive, but it's much more use and i've alreaddy had to use it a couple of times this winter.

Someone actually tried a UPS before on a forum (might be this one) and they found that it didn't work very well at all.

It was on a reef, but the problem would be similar on a FW. The load that is seen on an impeller (like that of a powerhead, or filter) is different to that of a computer (I can't recall exactly, but I think the PH was a reactive load instead of an impedant load, though I may be way out with that). The bottom line is, when they tried it and cut the power, the pumps died too.

You may be able to use one for an airpump to ensure some circulation around the filter...

That link doesn't work :S

Ok, sorry. If you wish to look, go to www.canadiantire.ca if it asks you for a postal code use K6V7C1. In the search box type powerbox 800. Hopefully that will work for you.
It is basically a large battery like you would find in a car or truck with a built in power inverter. It has cables that you can use to hook on to other batteries or to jump start a car. It also has a built in light so you can see what you're doing and a radio etc.

Most reactions

Back