Would my ebjd get beat up?

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2 inch ebjd in my 29 as a grow out. I would like to move him to a 40 breeder but since he is small I am worried about moving him since he is so small and costs $20. I have a 4-5 inch electric blue acara in that tank as well as a 5-6 inch firemouth cichlid. It also has a 3 inch polar convict which can be aggressive bc it is breeding. Should I move him to this tank or wait till he is about 3 inches? I know they grow extremely slow so I know this would take a while. I want to add another fish to my 29 and he is going at it with a kribensis and one of my electric blue acara fry that I’m growing out. I know they are sensitive so I would drip acclimated but if you were me should I move him or let him gain some size?

For what it's worth I would wait if possible. Try to add more decor to the 29, think functionality not appearance. Break up the lines of sight within the tank as much as is feasibly possible. Once the EBJD is at a more similar size to the convict go ahead and do the move. That's the approach I'd take.

For what it's worth I would wait if possible. Try to add more decor to the 29, think functionality not appearance. Break up the lines of sight within the tank as much as is feasibly possible. Once the EBJD is at a more similar size to the convict go ahead and do the move. That's the approach I'd take.
Ok I was thinking the same thing as he is expensive. They grow extremely slow so it wound take him many months to double in size. I’ll wait a few more months and see where he is at size wise at that point.

When the time comes, swap the JD and leave the 29 for the convicts. Let them have that tank to themselves. If they paired they will beat anyone up.

When the time comes, swap the JD and leave the 29 for the convicts. Let them have that tank to themselves. If they paired they will beat anyone up.
No the 29 is my heavily planted tank with tetras and community fish. The 40 has the convicts, the eba and firemouth

No the 29 is my heavily planted tank with tetras and community fish. The 40 has the convicts, the eba and firemouth

I understand that. That's why I said swap the JD and the convicts when the time comes. Meaning when the JD is big enough to be moved take the convicts out and put them in the 29. You didn't mention that the 29 had other fish and that's why I recommend it.

I'd strongly recommend splitting up that convict pair or give them a tank to themselves. They will breed continuously and terrorize other fish.

I understand that. That's why I said swap the JD and the convicts when the team comes. Meaning when the JD is big enough to be moved take the convicts out and put them in the 29. You didn't mention that the 29 had other fish and that's why I recommend it.

I'd strongly recommend splitting up that convict pair or give them a tank to themselves. They will breed continuously and terrorize other fish.
I can’t do that. They have been breeding for a few months now and haven’t hurt any fish in the tank. They are polar convicts so they have a parrot fish mouth and can’t really bite anything

You've been lucky! Even the polar convicts are mean when breeding. Even though they can't really bite, they usually will chase and stress other fish. Glad to hear it's working for you. I'd love to see the tanks if you could post a picture.

You keep some of my favorite fish.

You've been lucky! Even the polar convicts are mean when breeding. Even though they can't really bite, they usually will chase and stress other fish. Glad to hear it's working for you. I'd love to see the tanks if you could post a picture.

You keep some of my favorite fish.
Thanks! Yes they are mean but I’ve only seen them chase of another fish and it’s usually the pictus cat or a tiger barb who is curious and it’s only when they go near the eggs/babies. They actually just laid some more eggs the other day! (It’s water change day so the tank isn’t looking it’s finest but it’ll do) Here is a pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
With regard to the 29, watch it closely. IME Dempseys behaviour as they mature changes pretty fast, there behaviour changes a lot faster than their bodies do. If you are careful and move it as soon as it has enough size to be confident of its safety you should be fine but it is imperative you give real consideration and act quickly in as to how you can break up lines of sight as much as is possible. That and close monitoring are vital to you going forward.

With regard to the 29, watch it closely. IME Dempseys behaviour as they mature changes pretty fast, there behaviour changes a lot faster than their bodies do. If you are careful and move it as soon as it has enough size to be confident of its safety you should be fine but it is imperative you give real consideration and act quickly in as to how you can break up lines of sight as much as is possible. That and close monitoring are vital to you going forward.
Ok I definitely will. How fast do you think he will get to 3-4 inches? He is almost 2 right now

How many times a day do you feed the tank as a whole? It shouldn't take very long to be honest, i wouldnt be shocked if its ready to move within a couple of weeks, I'd be pretty surprised if not by the end of the month. At that sorta size I would just add an extra feed on a day, don't feed any more than you usually would during that feed though. In a community like that I would expect its getting more than the lions share already, so you don't need to worry about target feeding.

How many times a day do you feed the tank as a whole? It shouldn't take very long to be honest, i wouldnt be shocked if its ready to move within a couple of weeks, I'd be pretty surprised if not by the end of the month. At that sorta size I would just add an extra feed on a day, don't feed any more than you usually would during that feed though. In a community like that I would expect its getting more than the lions share already, so you don't need to worry about target feeding.
I feed twice. This is an electric blue and from what I’ve heard they grow extremely slow. I think it will take a couple of months to get big enough from what I’ve heard. I want to know if anyone has had one who can tell exactly how slow it grew

Never had an Electric Blue, I had to get one from about 2.5 to 5 though and to be honest, I don't recall it being particularly long winded.
Seriously though, especially if your looking at a longer time in the 29, you need to go way way overboard with lines of sight. If you don't once the EBJD switches, which happens fast, that krib is going to be in for a really rough time.

Never had an Electric Blue, I had to get one from about 2.5 to 5 though and to be honest, I don't recall it being particularly long winded.
Seriously though, especially if your looking at a longer time in the 29, you need to go way way overboard with lines of sight. If you don't once the EBJD switches, which happens fast, that krib is going to be in for a really rough time.
Ok thanks. It’s very heavily planted

Most reactions

Back