Would Lr Die In Tap Water?

andywg,
No need to provide proof as it is a common fact that RO or RO/DI water with salt provides the correct balance of elements as found in natural saltwater.

So what you really mean is that you can't provide proof.

Just ask for a list of elements found in your tap water from your local water board and compare that with natural saltwater. There will be a difference.

And you cannot tell me which of these (if any) cause any problems with keeping fish.

Just because an animal spawns, does not mean it is happy as spawning can be a survival instinct. I am not saying it is not possible to keep marine animals in tap water, I am saying it is not the right thing to do when we can provide a better alternative.

So tell me, what marine fish do you know of that spawn when conditions aren't good? Should we always use RO as a better alternative, even when the better alternative involves wasting up to 10 times as much water as we want when it isn't at all necessary?

Yes, some areas have better water quality than others and people have kept marine animals in this type of water, I just do not believe it is right telling people it is OK to use it when RO's are available so cheaply. In my view, if anyone is concerned at the cost of water or the cost of RO untis, then they should not be keeping these animals.

So you would deny someone the chance to keep a fish just because you have a view which you cannot back up with any evidence? Sounds elitist to me.

We will obviously differ of this opinion but surly you agree it is our responsibility to produce the best conditions possible for these animals whose natural habitats are being destroyed daily. These animals are becoming endangered because of the destruction of their habitat so we need to keep the ones we have in the best possible conditions......maybe I am alone in this opinion in which case, god help the reefs!

Oh spare me the semantics! Until you can provide some evidence that a way of keeping fish which has been perfectly fine for 20 years+ is actually detrimental, I will completely fail to agree with you. While RO water is nice to be able to use, it issimply not necessary.

You complain about the natural reefs dying, do you consider all the water you are wasting, and the neergy costs associated with that? The treatment, storage and pumping of clean water is an energy intensive process. You seem more than happy to cause greater ecological damage to the wildlife for no visible gain in the keeping of far fewer fish.

You really care about the fish on the reef and the corals? Don't tell people to waste huge amounts of water (and energy) unless there is some tangible benefit to it.

By all means say that you prefer to keep them in RO water to provide an ideal environment, but don't try and force everyone to keep fish in a way that you prefer.

Looks like we're toeing the line between spirited debate and flaming here. I'd love to leave this thread open as this is quite a debatable topic and some great info/ideas have been said in it. If it does turn south though, well we all know what happens then, try to keep things civil guys.

Having said that, this argument is very complex and unique to each individual person. All of our tapwater is unique as it all comes from different sources and contains different elements in it, thus influencing the choice of using RO or not using RO. We also have to remember that certain animals have documented incompatibilities that MAY be found in someone's tap water, but not someone else's. Obviously if you intend to keep an animal with documented problems with something in your tap, RO may be the choice for you.

I can say for sure that little to no longterm science has ever been performed on what "trace" minerals sometimes found in tapwater can be detrimental to fish. Sure we know chlorine/chloramine, bromine, and flourine (common disenfectants), as well as ammonia are certainly toxic to fish and sometimes found in tapwater but these can easily be removed with carbon filtration, dechlorinator, or just leaving the water to sit and allowing them to break down and evaporate into the atmosphere. Then you get into the gray area of metals like copper or iron. Sure, copper concentrations over 0.3ppm is toxic, we know this, but finding copper in tapwater close to that concentration is very very rare. Usually it's in the parts per billion concentration, at which point even irregular water changes can take care of it. Iron is present in seawater at a relatively high concentration, so again, toxic levels of iron will be difficult to achieve via tapwater.

As far as I know, little if any research has been done on sulphates (common in well water), same goes for silicates, but speculation abounds that both may help fuel cyanobacteria blooms. And then there's nitrates/phosphates, again, different for every system.

Having said all that, lets examine my own tapwater. It has high concentrations of chloramine, flourine, silicates, calcium, and carbonate/bicarbonate (double digits in parts per million). Small concentrations of sulphates and magnesium (single digits ppm). Trace concentrations of copper, iron, and a myriad of other salts and metals (parts per billion). No significant concentrations of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, or other organics (thank you zebra muscles). My tapwater is pretty clean and to be honest, I could probably get away with using it, my only concern is the silicates. I really don't want to fuel a possible algae bloom... Also, I keep some very sensetive corals and clams whose reaction to sulphates is unknown, and I really don't want to find out if it's bad. Combine that with the last fact that my water comes from and goes right back to the great lakes water system, and I've made the decision to use RO water.

Were I keeping a fish only tank, I can tell you for certain that I would not bother with it. I've met plenty of folks in my local club (all same tapwater as me) that have kept FO tanks for decades on tapwater, including one who has fish that are well over a decade old living in tapwater.

Just my personal oppinions, take em or leave em

andywg,

So this thread does not deteriorate anymore, I will bow to your superior knowledge :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back