Would Lr Die In Tap Water?

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im starting a fish only tank and may want to add small amounts of LR as i go would it be possible or would dechlorinated tap water kill off the bacteria on the live rock?

oops sorry, i meant if i mixed up salt water with dechlorinated tap water as i don't have an RO unit. Sorry badly worded

i was always told it was bad as it would kill the bacteria, i will get some LR then im sure my fish will thank me for it lol

thank you

Do you think i will still get things on it? Like hitchhikers or will they die? as i know they are sensitive to water

Be very careful here as tap water is not normally used in marine tanks. Test your tap water to see how much phosphate and Nitrates it contains as I think you will be very surprised. Tap water is different all around the country but all if it contains all sorts of things not suitable for marines. In my opinion, you will loose some of the critters mixing up tap water and you will probably have trouble keeping your water parameters stable over the long term. To be on the safe side, buy some RO water from your lfs to get you going and then buy an RO unit as they are really cheap now (£65).

Hope that helps.

Be very careful here as tap water is not normally used in marine tanks. Test your tap water to see how much phosphate and Nitrates it contains as I think you will be very surprised. Tap water is different all around the country but all if it contains all sorts of things not suitable for marines. In my opinion, you will loose some of the critters mixing up tap water and you will probably have trouble keeping your water parameters stable over the long term. To be on the safe side, buy some RO water from your lfs to get you going and then buy an RO unit as they are really cheap now (£65).

Hope that helps.

agreed :good:

Its not about the price, its about i still live at home and my mum is totally unreasonable. Also my LFS dosn't sell RO water. I will test it and see where i stand first. I should use a freshwater kit right?

no if you are going to use tap water and we cant change your mind with ro-di then mix salt into it and test the parameters with the same kits you will test your tank water with, to start with ammonia, and nitrite for the tank cycle and phosphate and nitrate for the tap water, when you have cycled you will want the phosphate and nitrate kits for the tank,

Anyone know of someone who sells RO water and can deliver? or a type of ro unit you can fit to the tap or something?

a ro-man ro-di unit is available at most english aquarium centres if you get the best package it is about £90.00, if there is no room under the tank you can get adapters which fit to an outside tap, mind you problems can arise there, only use it when you need it and then put it away, you must keep the membrane wet and dont let direct sun light get into it

Most reactions

Back