Worried About My Fossichromis Rostratis

moonraker

Reaction score
I have a 540 litre tank with mix of african cichlids, a couple of catfish, and a couple of bristlenose. The inhabitants are vigorous, and generally healthy. I currently have 4 females holding.

I bought a pair of Fossies at the start of the year, a male and female, each now about 8 inches long. The male is in full colour, and gives the female more attention than she wants. He seems to be thriving. However she does have a rock cave as a refuge from which she spends much time peering out. He ignores her when she is in her cave. None of the other fish bother her, at least when I am around.

At feeding time she comes out to join the scrum, but she seems only to go through the motions of eating. Fossies have very big mouths, and the male at least gets his fair share without trouble. When I first had her, she did the same.

The female gets food in her mouth, but very often it just drifts out again. She is not eating properly. Its almost as though she has forgotten how to eat. She is getting emaciated, with a very concave belly, and she generally looks skinny.

I feed my fish on a combination of medum sized floating, and small sinking cichlid pellets (to give the smaller fish a chance). The catfish clean up what gets to the bottom, so not much is left. They also sometimes get courgette on a skewer.

I've just bought some frozen bloodworms which I hope to tempt her with, but I am concerned that food type is not the problem.

Could it be stress caused by the old man - should I consider trying to obtain a second female? (They get to be big fish, so having three could cause other complications). Is it the food? - unlikely as the male does very well, or could there be a disease or parasite problem?

Kevin

Hey Kevin

It doesn't sound like she is being stressed out. If she has a safe place i.e. that cave you where taking about, then I doubt it is stress. From what I have read stress from other fish only really occurs when the fish is being constantly harassed, hen pecked and the fish cannot find a refuge.

The problem you are having sounds very similar to what myself and Nick Sw are going through at the moment. He wont eat and I have a hollow belly!!! :p :p (Sorry about that, it had to be added just because of the way the sentence before it sounded). Check out this post regarding the topic and other members views on the subject, you might get more of any idea about the problem you are having.

Nick sw's post regarding the sick mpanga

Thanks for the lead......

I don't know what comes out of her rear because she is sheltered so much, but the other symptoms certainly seem to point to internal bacteria.

I'm going to get some Interpret anti internal bacteria medication today.

S**'s law, I'm going away for a week from Saturday but at least I can get three days treatment in before I go.

The worrying thing is that the problem is relatively recent. I wonder where she got it from. My other fish all seem fit, but I think I'll treat the whole tank as a precaution.

Thank you once again, Kevin

Most reactions

Back