Worms In Our New Tank

Nosnibor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good evening all,

We have recently received plants from www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ and my partner saw a worm about an inch long today swimming around just after the lights were switched on! Unfortunately she couldn't catch it and it got away, but this evening as we were both studying the environment we couldn't see the 1 inch culprit but saw that there was a baby worm about 2mm long hanging around the roots of the Vallisneria Spiralis "tiger".

We are planning on purchasing our new fish tomorrow but are worrying about if these worms will harm the fish in anyway? The fish are Bristlenose, Cardinal Neons, Kribensis and Gouramis.

Many Thanks

Martin
PS I strongly advise to not order any plants from the above site as we had to wait for over a week to find out that 40% of the order was not in stock and the reply back was that this was common for their suppliers. Also the quality of the plants that did arrive were very poor :(

The worm might be a type of parasite. I would try and take a pic, or catch one and take a pic, and post it. That way if anyone's had experience with it, they can tell you. You could also catch one and take it into a veterinarian and asking if they happen to know what it is. In the meantime, were I you, I would err on the side of caution and not add fish until the tank is either completely de-wormed, or the worms have been authoritatively declared harmless to aquatic life.

The worm might be a type of parasite. I would try and take a pic, or catch one and take a pic, and post it. That way if anyone's had experience with it, they can tell you. You could also catch one and take it into a veterinarian and asking if they happen to know what it is. In the meantime, were I you, I would err on the side of caution and not add fish until the tank is either completely de-wormed, or the worms have been authoritatively declared harmless to aquatic life.

Hi,

Just as I was reading the reply above my partner shouted 'found it, found it!'.

Okay here is the big one, sorry for the large photos I just want to get this sorted as I'm sure you can understand:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Please help - thank you.

I have no idea what type of worm that is, but I'd be horrified if I found that in my tank! bleh...

ewwww that does not look good, don't add fish until you've got an ID on it

I must say I'm massivley shocked you've had these problems from AE, I've always found them to be excellent. Not disputing it though always the potential for something to go wrong. Have you contacted AE?

from matt clarke on teh PFK forum

That appears to be a leech as it has a suctorial disc at one end. There's only one leech in the UK that's a problem to fish and that's Piscicola geometra. Most other leeches are harmless scavengers, which is just as well, as they're a nightmare to eradicate now that organophosphate treatments are now longer allowed. I'd take it out and keep an eye on the tank in case there are any more.

I've only ever seen real fish leeches on wild fish (pike at Broadlands seem riddled with them), but I believe they're usually a sort of buff colour, rather than dark like that little fella.

from matt clarke on teh PFK forum

That appears to be a leech as it has a suctorial disc at one end. There's only one leech in the UK that's a problem to fish and that's Piscicola geometra. Most other leeches are harmless scavengers, which is just as well, as they're a nightmare to eradicate now that organophosphate treatments are now longer allowed. I'd take it out and keep an eye on the tank in case there are any more.

I've only ever seen real fish leeches on wild fish (pike at Broadlands seem riddled with them), but I believe they're usually a sort of buff colour, rather than dark like that little fella.

That is SUPERB, thank you very much Miss W.

It is so frustrating as we have been so particular about everythin so far, the cycle, the set up, the fish the lot and then at the very last minute we get these little *******s :angry: :crazy:

Okay, well I suppose we'll carry on and just keep a very close eye on the situation and deal with it as and when.

Thank you for all your help.

Martin & Nina :good:

again quote from Matt Clarke

If he's still got the leech, he could try and identify it to determine whether it's Piscicola geometra or not. This species is strongly annulated and has 14 (or so) rings along the body. I have read that there are other leeches that affect fish, such as some Hemiclepsis and Cystobranchus, but these rarely get a mention in the textbooks. Getting rid of them is tricky.

The normal way in aquaculture installations is to drain, dry, treat with quicklime, then re-fill. Organophosphates (OPs), such as masoten and dipterex, used to be popular with Koi keepers for treating leeches and flukes, but they affect the central nervous system (and pose a risk to human health), so they're banned now.

Interpet's Aquarium Anti Crustacean Parasite treatment is one of the only remaining legal treatments on the UK aquarium market for treating leeches (that I'm aware of, anyway). However, the snag is that it will kill the filter, so if he opts to treat with this, he's going to be back at square one with the fishless cycling...

just checking with him if the filter needs to be treated as well as the tank, you could possibly remove it to a tub or something and continue feeding it ammonia there while you treat the tank

again from Matt

I suspect that they're probably not fish leeches, so I wouldn't panic unduly. However, if they are, I'd be inclined to treat the filter too, as it might be harbouring eggs or young leeches. Chances are, they're probably just one of the harmless scavenging variety anyway, so he'll be safe, I think.

IMHO I would try and find the other leech, see if you can ID it as piscicola or not.

i've looked myself and i don't think it is but your pics are a little unclear so I can't be 100% sure.

If it's not piscicola just try and go through all the decor and remove anything suspiscious looking and then get your fish, if it is you'll have to treat including treating the filter then start cycling again

again from Matt

I suspect that they're probably not fish leeches, so I wouldn't panic unduly. However, if they are, I'd be inclined to treat the filter too, as it might be harbouring eggs or young leeches. Chances are, they're probably just one of the harmless scavenging variety anyway, so he'll be safe, I think.

IMHO I would try and find the other leech, see if you can ID it as piscicola or not.

i've looked myself and i don't think it is but your pics are a little unclear so I can't be 100% sure.

If it's not piscicola just try and go through all the decor and remove anything suspiscious looking and then get your fish, if it is you'll have to treat including treating the filter then start cycling again

You have been a star Miss W,

Funny but as you must have been typing that we were looking in to the tank and agreeing on the best action and it was pretty much near to what you recommend. We just didn't want to spend the first 6 months of our fish keeping life sorting out things like this and not enjoying it, I know that we would end up giving up most probably :(

Okay, we're going to do a 90% water change but was wondering if you think we should remove the plant that we think is infected? Or do you think that even if there is any eggs and young they won't survive as the fish will eat them?

Martin

Funny but as you must have been typing that we were looking in to the tank and agreeing on the best action and it was pretty much near to what you recommend. We just didn't want to spend the first 6 months of our fish keeping life sorting out things like this and not enjoying it, I know that we would end up giving up most probably :(

Okay, we're going to do a 90% water change but was wondering if you think we should remove the plant that we think is infected? Or do you think that even if there is any eggs and young they won't survive as the fish will eat them?

Martin

no probs

i feel so bad for you, i can imagine how demoralising this sort of thing is. but just think of the flip side, had you not have fishless cycled or just gone ahead and added fish anyway there's a fair chance you'd have killed off your first few fish which is enough to put anyone off IMO.

at least your dealing with things the right way and you'll have a lovely happy tank as a reward for it :)

i would remove the plant, as they've only been in your tank a short period of time they probably haven't had time to lay eggs, however they could have been in with the plant for months and had plenty of time to.

Martin

no probs

i feel so bad for you, i can imagine how demoralising this sort of thing is. but just think of the flip side, had you not have fishless cycled or just gone ahead and added fish anyway there's a fair chance you'd have killed off your first few fish which is enough to put anyone off IMO.

at least your dealing with things the right way and you'll have a lovely happy tank as a reward for it :)

i would remove the plant, as they've only been in your tank a short period of time they probably haven't had time to lay eggs, however they could have been in with the plant for months and had plenty of time to.

Great, we were thinking the same - thank you.

I was on the phone to the lfs who gave me some advice on certain worms, basically saying that it sounded like a form of nematode worm which I think is just a generic name for many types of worms.

So the plan is to do the 90% water change, section off the corner which have the plants and remove the plants and roots as well as the sand surrounding the plants.

The lfs said that as long as I get the Bristlenose at a good size (around 3") they will take care of the worm young and eggs. He also said that the worst case will be that a specific species of fish might get a parasite infestation through eating the worm but as long as the water compostion is good and the fish are healthy, they will kill it off and survive happily.

I've asked them to reserve any 'RAMBO' fish they might have, but to grease up the bowie knifes as I don't want them rusting :lol:

Anyway,

Thanks for all your help

Martin :good:

good luck, i have my fingers crossed that it works out ok for you

make sure you let us know how you get on

Most reactions

Back