Worms In My Tank

barb-e

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Worms
I was moving some stuff around in my tank today and I stirred up some particles from the gravel. I was observing my tank and I saw this little white worm wiggling through the water :eek: . I'd seen one before and was able to scoop it out. Well today, when I saw it I wanted to scoop it out but instead I watched in horror as one of my cherry barbs swam up and ate it in one bite :sick: . What are these things. Now one of my fish does have ich. Could these things be tomites (spelling)? Whatever it is, I don't want worms in my tank. What should I do?

Ich
While i'm at it that fish with ich has had ich for around 2 1/2 weeks. I'm trying a heat treatment for it. Today the spots are gone but i've seen them disappear and return over and over again so I won't get my hopes up. I'm assuming the ich is in it's free swimming stage now. What can I do to wipe it out and is 17 days a normal ich infestation period or should I be worried :unsure: ?

The worms are probably planaria and quite common in fish tanks. Have you just used heat for the ich or any treatments? I would use some meds for the ich

Some fish are funny with parasite meds, what fish do you have.

I'm not sure how to go about treating ich, but the worm was probably just planaria. Harmless little worms.
I had an infestation in my tank a week ago. They were ALL over the glass and it was just.. bleh. So thanks to the advice I got.. I cut back on feeding alot (down to once a day)... and did some big water changes and gave the gravel a very good vacuuming a few times. Also scrubbed the inside of the tank glass with a tank brush. And now the little things have disappeared :)

Ok if you only have cherry barbs follow the med instructions.
Increase aeration as it's very important as the high temp and med reduce 02 in the tank.

I too have the small white worms........I was just going to post, till I saw this thread.

I've battled ich twice now and each time I just used a little bit of salt and heat, and it seems to work wonders.

well I guess that depends on when you start treating it. I usually saw results within a week. Also depending on how much salt you add.

but what do I know, Ive only been keeping fish for about 3 months :X

I think the fish should come first before the plants.

Most reactions

Back