Worms in fishless cycling tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Warrensko1

Reaction score
Hi, I am two weeks into a fishless cycle of my new aquarium. I have a lot of worms in the tank that must have been introduced on the plants. They began off as small white worms but have grown into red worms. They spend their time in the substrate/on the wood rocks and occasionally get caught in the water flow and wriggle madly while in the body of water. I think there may be two types as there are also a few white worms with bumpy bodies as supposed to the smooth red worms. I have attached pictures - do these need attention before adding fish at the end of the cycle?
9541ACFB-5C64-456A-980F-5E45A00462B7.jpegB3554943-259D-41EA-AB83-BF8D89A715A4.jpeg4BACFDF0-4434-4613-8AAF-E7FD21AE0971.jpeg

Detritus worms maybe? What substrate have you used?

Detritus worms was my thinking too, and I think the white bumpy one is some sort of fly larvae as a I have found a couple of flies in the top of the aquarium. The substrate is Colombo Flora Base Pro. I guess these probably came in on the plants?

I have had white worms for about 5 months now, you cant get rid of them through normal cycling in my opinion, however, I just saw a video that I posted about on my other thread in which the king of diy uses salt to kill pests.

Most reactions

Back