Wood From The Garden In My Tank?

Loops

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if this is ok if i were to strip the branches?

What tree's is it ok to use the wood from and how would i prepare it?

Hope someone can confirm for me :)

x

Hi guys

Just wondering if this is ok if i were to strip the branches?

What tree's is it ok to use the wood from and how would i prepare it?

Hope someone can confirm for me :)

x

personally i wouldn't mate i dont know how if the sap or chemicals in the wood might poison the water in any way i wouldnt like to try it

Deffo not a good idea. Bogwood etc that you can get from your lfs has been soaked for years and it a propper hard wood. Other woods may rot very quickly and polute your tank.

Adding wood you find can be tricky but it can be done with caution and it helps if you know your trees. Rocks are much safer then wood you find. Even the wood at the shop can be a problem I have a chunk that is oozing sap and that's not good.

To be on the safe side don't.

you can use wood from the garden IF you take the following precautions.
1. Boil several times and scrub (strip first obviously)
2. Coat in 2 or 3 layers of G4 pond sealant

Hey presto!

What about if you live next to a stream, river or lake, and have trees that have their roots that have been under the water all that time.

Could this be used, since the roots have been underwater for the whole life of the tree, which is probably 20+ years?

Just go and cut out some submerged roots.

-FHM

They say wood that is or has been found in water is better. But the main thing with wood is toxins get in to wood and could leach into the tank. But yes wood found in water is on the safe side.

Most reactions

Back