Will This Work For My Breeding Tank?

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
It's a small, 5 gallon tank. I have this Azoo filter, and it has an adjustable flow rate, but since the water level should be lower, I placed a strip of the black plasticy background in the filter and taped it to the tank so the water would flow down it an not make a huge splash. I'm planning to place a small sponge on the bottom of the filter where the water is sucked in so that no one would get caught in it. I just don't know if it's still too much current though...

This is only about the filtration/water height. I obviously have much more to add before it's ready. :)

Attachments

• fish_110.jpg
    fish_110.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 35
  • fish_108.jpg
    fish_108.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 39
  • fish_109.jpg
    fish_109.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 25
I would consider emptying your 10g and making it a breeding tank - I have ammonia problems in my 10g with two fish at half level, I couldn't imagine a 5g.

I used a 7g and was fine, you dont need a filter in straight away as the adults can breath from the surface, you only need a filter when the fry become free swimming..

If your getting your sponge filter before they actually breed, then you can take that one out as its not needed.

I just did dialy water changes, and when the fry became free swimming, i turned the sponge filter on low (also added some of my matured media form other tank) i still continued to do daily changes but last 3 days i aint bothered as the tests are showing up fine..

the filter intake will likely be too strong. you could perhaps try silaconing off a small area around the filter intake with very fine mesh, seal it up so no fry get near it, im considering trying this with one of my tanks that has an inbuilt trickle filter and using it as a breeding tank

I fully cycled my breeding tank with the sponge filter that i have had running throughout the whole process.. During spawning and for a week after i ran it at 1 bubble per second.. Have turned it up a fraction now.. Have had no ammonia and no nitrite... Nitrate has been steady at about 5.. This has worked for me up to now.. :good:

I'm going to give in and just buy a sponge filter. Problem is, my LFS only has the REALLY big one, and it would be kind of ridiculous in this tank. What size (looking at the hydro filters) should I get? I?

For my 56G grow out, what sizes should I buy, and how many? I was thinking I may just pick up two of the larger ones from my LFS...

a realy simple way to make a sponge filter is get a tube shaped filter sponge, about 10cm tall, plug the bottom end with somthing solid and slightly heavy to keep in in one place (the mesuring cap from aquarium meds, {like finrot, or anti white spot, or tap safe for example} filled with sand is good) and an airline tube with air stone. its crude and basic, but it works and its small :good:

Most reactions

Back