Will This Tank Ever Cycle?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

southcity

Reaction score
Today marks 8 weeks and 3 days since the initial dose of ammonia in my new tank. Things were going well for about 2 weeks, my ammonia was dropping from 5ppm to 0 in 12 hours, for those 14 days, then suddenly 2 weeks ago it started taking 24 hours to drop each time, now today on the 24 hour mark I tested and still have about 2ppm of ammonia in the tank. Not sure why I am in reverse but this is getting really frustrating. My Nitrite is off the charts as well as my Nitrates. Any idea's what could be the problem. Should I buy new filter media and start all over again? I am currently using ceramic rings, maybe sponges work better, IDK :no: Using API liquid test kit, bottles are well shaken prior to each test and all test tubes and dropper is very well rinsed in warm water after each use.

What is your pH level and temperature?

Have you carried out any water changes or cleaned or done anything with the filter or media?

What media is in your filter?

I would do a large water change, remember to dechlorinate the water you put back in, and try to keep a similar temperature.

What is your pH level and temperature?

Have you carried out any water changes or cleaned or done anything with the filter or media?

What media is in your filter?

I would do a large water change, remember to dechlorinate the water you put back in, and try to keep a similar temperature.

pH is 8 temp is 84

The filter seems to be making as much action on the water surface as always, doesn't seem to be any problem with a bunged up filter, should I be cleaning it?

Ceramic rings

pH is fine then :)

I'm not sure about 84, it should be 29oC

No don't clean the filter.

There should be plenty of surface agitation to ensure lots of oxygen in the water.

Ceramic rings are great, you should also have a sponge or two in there (not carbon).

Do a large water change to get rid of some nitrites & nitrates, it should kick the cycle back into action :good:

Agree with Mishka.
100% water change is a good option for you to try and get things moving again.

in addition to the water change you can try seachem stability. it certainly won't hurt anything besides your wallet :)

i used it and my tank finished its nitrite part of the cycle a few days later - although it certainly could have been a complete coincidence i was just happy to havew the cycle completed!

I think the water change would be the first thing to try before any artificial additives.

Having a heater while doing a fishless cycle, does this help?

Having a heater while doing a fishless cycle, does this help?

It does help, yes. The bacteria reproduce more quickly in warmer temperatures.

You can do a fishless cycle in cold water, but's faster in warm.

100% water change done earlier today, I didn't have time for water readings after, had to get to work, but I added enough ammonia when the water change was done to bring the ammonia up to about 4ppm. Now 12hrs later I tested for ammonia, it was 0, Nitrate is about 20-40, Nitrite was off the charts by the 3rd drop of test solution, (it sat in the bottom of the test tube and was dark purple) pH 8, temp is 29c. I hope this gets things back on track and thanks for all the replies. I re-dosed the ammonia tonight back up to 4ppm.

Well today marks 10 weeks since I first set up this tank. I made a decision a couple of weeks ago that at 10 weeks if I was not seeing double 0's I would just empty the tank out and come to the conclusion that fish just aren't for me. I did my water readings a hour ago and nitrite is still off the charts, showing no movement what so ever. So I emptied the tank and will try and sell it with all the supplies. Thanks for all the help everyone gave me, but I think I gave it a fair shot. 10 weeks seems a bit excessive to me and I just ran out of patience, who knows how much longer this tank would have taken, but there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Take care all.

Most reactions

Back