Will this prevent my other fish from getting dropsy?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It's been a couple of weeks since my previous betta (Pearl) passed from dropsy. I have a split 10-gallon tank but now there is no fish on one side so I want to disassemble the barrier so my other fish can have more space.

Since then I have had gravel vacuumed 1 time on the empty side of the tank just to try to get rid of some waste. I have also done I think 2 water changes, each 30-40% over a span of 2 weeks. However, I still believe there is some waste from Pearl. I tried to get most of it out but there still is some. I can't do it right away, but should I try to get more waste out before disassembling the barrier, or is it ok?

My current fish is pretty old (~3 years or more) and his tail is ripped for unknown reasons... I doubt it's fin rot though since the tears happen suddenly. Is he going to catch dropsy...?

Thanks. :)

It's been a couple of weeks since my previous betta (Pearl) passed from dropsy. I have a split 10-gallon tank but now there is no fish on one side so I want to disassemble the barrier so my other fish can have more space.

Since then I have had gravel vacuumed 1 time on the empty side of the tank just to try to get rid of some waste. I have also done I think 2 water changes, each 30-40% over a span of 2 weeks. However, I still believe there is some waste from Pearl. I tried to get most of it out but there still is some. I can't do it right away, but should I try to get more waste out before disassembling the barrier, or is it ok?

My current fish is pretty old (~3 years or more) and his tail is ripped for unknown reasons... I doubt it's fin rot though since the tears happen suddenly. Is he going to catch dropsy...?

What type of barrier is it? Do they share the same water in the tank? Or is it a barrier that literally seperates it into 2 seperate tanks?

dropsy is not contagious if your other fish have a good immune system.
I had a fish with dropsy and the other fish were swimming right by her and having fun with her until it got treated

What type of barrier is it? Do they share the same water in the tank? Or is it a barrier that literally seperates it into 2 seperate tanks?
the barrier has holes in it and they shared the same water

Most reactions

Back