Will They Be Ok

Is there plenty of air supply to the hatcher? Graham is right, need a nice heat setting of around 80 for best results. Mine are always hatching within 12 hours.

Apparantly the bbs eggs have more protein than the hatched variety I read somewhere but forget where :*) I also have a similar solution to yours and I add a few drops into the tank with the fry.

My 2 week olds are eating Atisons Betta Starter mixed in with bbs and microworms. You can get some from Bettaman. Handy to have in should it fail again.

Hope you get rid of the ich soon :nod:

I have the airsupply set pretty high (seems like my hatchery would explode or take off lol)

I'm def going for the temp difference as to why it took longer!

How much is the Atison's betta starter? I wish my LFS would sell the stuff!

Just a precaution against using unhatched decapsulated eggs to feed fry... it seems like a great idea and is easy, but I'm 90% sure that's what caused some of my fry to lose their ventrals in my last spawn. I did more frequent water changes for them than in this batch, and yet in this batch not a single fish is missing ventrals, and the only real difference is that I haven't fed those eggs. I think that the eggs tend to settle on the bottom and decay faster than live BBS, which leads to bacterial buildup on the bottom of the tank and this attacks the tiny little developing ventrals of fry.

Just a precaution against using unhatched decapsulated eggs to feed fry... it seems like a great idea and is easy, but I'm 90% sure that's what caused some of my fry to lose their ventrals in my last spawn. I did more frequent water changes for them than in this batch, and yet in this batch not a single fish is missing ventrals, and the only real difference is that I haven't fed those eggs. I think that the eggs tend to settle on the bottom and decay faster than live BBS, which leads to bacterial buildup on the bottom of the tank and this attacks the tiny little developing ventrals of fry.

Thanks for the heads up Synirr. I'll remember that next time I decide to breed my bettas.

Thankfully all my current fry have ventrals. It's alos probably becausr they are such voracious eaters. Unhatched eggs don't stay long at the bottom! :lol: :nod:

Yeah thanks so much for that tip! I'm pleased to say I have plenty of bbs now (two hatchery worth) Also got home last night to find the ones that I'd left in the tank water (in a small bowl) had actually hatched! I swear that batch were just playing with me as I thought they needed airation and saltwater to hatch! :fun:
Also found out that brine shrimp will hatch in the sea salt you get for the grinders (I was running low on aquarium salt so decided to try it just in case I completely run out until pay day)

One of the smaller ones died off over night but the rest were really hungry and active this morning! Most of my fry are going green they look so cute tried to get pics but still no good at taking them

I have even used normal table salt once i i ran out of sea salt and they still hatched as normal.I put 3 tea spoons of table salt to 1 pint of water

I wonder why people say don't use normal salt then to hatch bbs? I thought salt was salt what is the difference between aquarium salt and our salt? I can understand in not putting it in the tank with the fish but I dont see what the problem is to using it to hatch bbs if it works?

I wonder why people say don't use normal salt then to hatch bbs? I thought salt was salt what is the difference between aquarium salt and our salt? I can understand in not putting it in the tank with the fish but I dont see what the problem is to using it to hatch bbs if it works?

No idea but i tried it and it worked.If it hadnt been an emergancy i probably would never have tried it although like you i cant see the differance as i rinse the brine anyway.
I have just looked on the bottle and it says use 31/2 level teaspoons of sea salt to 1 pint of water or 3 level teaspoons of common salt to 1 pint of water so does anyone know what common salt is?

I never found any instructions in mine all I had was a leaflet with all the other products on! I put random amounts of salt in but then again I re use my salt water a couple of times (running out of aquarium salt) it does the trick normally but I do add a little extra to it! No idea what common salt is! I dont even use a pint of water I just use them small water bottles you get or a 500ml coke bottle put a few holes in the top (one for airline tubing the others to let air out so pressure doesnt build then fill it up until there is only about an inch of air pour in salt and water leave in tank (to keep warm) and instant brine shrimp well usually anyway!

They also hatch in normal tap water too! Or they do from mine anyway! isnt common salt just our normal salt?

I never found any instructions in mine all I had was a leaflet with all the other products on! I put random amounts of salt in but then again I re use my salt water a couple of times (running out of aquarium salt) it does the trick normally but I do add a little extra to it! No idea what common salt is! I dont even use a pint of water I just use them small water bottles you get or a 500ml coke bottle put a few holes in the top (one for airline tubing the others to let air out so pressure doesnt build then fill it up until there is only about an inch of air pour in salt and water leave in tank (to keep warm) and instant brine shrimp well usually anyway!

They also hatch in normal tap water too! Or they do from mine anyway! isnt common salt just our normal salt?

The instructions are on the box,on the bottle and on the leaflet inside the box.I just use normal tap water and use plastic bottles floating in a heated tank with airline in them

I would think that common salt is our normal salt anyway it works and i reared all by Axolotols so it didnt have any side effects on them :rolleyes:

I'm sure I heard somewhere you werent meant to use tap water oh well who cares if it works lol

Glad your axolotls have been ok on it! Think I might go for bog standard salt in future for bbs (its cheaper lol) Aquarium salt I'll save for emergencies

I never did find the instructions on the box will have a look when I get home

Most reactions

Back