Will My Fry Have Any Chance To Survive?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank has 4 platys and a powder dwarf Gourami in a 20 gallon tank with a black substrate. it's somewhat planted (everything is still young). I want at least some of my platy fry to grow up but I'm concerned that the black substrate will give them away to the bigger fish. do you guys think there is any chance that at least one will survive? or should I set up a small tank for them?

:hi: to the forum :)

It's almost certain that some fry will survive, yes, if they have some hiding places.

And don't forget that each female can have 30 or 40 fry, every month, and within six months, those fry will also be producing fry themselves.

I know it sounds harsh, but it really is better to leave the fry in the main tank; even if some do get eaten, or you'll be overrun with fry in no time! Also, even though the fry are small, they don't do so well in small tanks; it can stunt their growth.

thanks for the welcome. but do you think they will find any food at all? do i have to like take a pipette and send some food to the bottom?

They should find food just fine :)

If you want, you can crush up a bit of whatever you're feeding the adults to a fine powder and put that where the fry hang out, but it's not necessary, especially if you have live plants; they'll find lots to eat picking at those :)

Mrs Treguard is right if you put them in a small place it can  stunt their growth it happened to me trust me it is sad to see them die in a small plce but they should have a happy life in a big tank good luck
photo.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

snork6 1 year having fish

Most reactions

Back