Will My Baby Plattes Get Big?

kandanaiw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member. I found this forum interesting and helpful with suggestions about fish. I like platties because they are pretty and easy to take care of. The grown female I have keeps having babies.
I have about eight baby platties in an 11" 9'' aquarium. I'm afraid they cannot get as big as their parents. The biggest one is about 3/4 inch long. THey are about two months old. Are you growing normal? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you :)

If they are 3/4" at 2 months, yes, I'd say they are growing pretty normally maybe slightly on the smaller side but all fish grow at different rates. I think trying to get 8 to full grown in a small tank like that might be pushing it though. Once they get big enough, you could probably put them back in the main tank with the parents.

Suggestions...hmm. Well, first off, how often are you feeding and what? :) And what's your water change schedule?

If they are 3/4" at 2 months, yes, I'd say they are growing pretty normally maybe slightly on the smaller side but all fish grow at different rates. I think trying to get 8 to full grown in a small tank like that might be pushing it though. Once they get big enough, you could probably put them back in the main tank with the parents.

Suggestions...hmm. Well, first off, how often are you feeding and what? :) And what's your water change schedule?

Yes, the tank is a little crowed. I agree. I feed them 3 times a day with Wardley tropical flakes. I don't often change the water at all. I add some new water once in a while. I have some plants in the tank and the water looks clear to me.

Thank you for your reply.

What fish are in your main tank? It might be beneficial to transfer the bigger ones over there as soon as they are big enough not to get eaten. That will free up some room in your fry tank.

If possible, feed the fry more often. Maybe 4-5 times per day. And if you can, suppliment in some high-protein foods like Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Tubifex Worms...etc. Frozen. Freeze-dried or Live will work. And I'd do more often water changes. The last thing you want in a small tank like that is bad water quality. Maybe step it up to weekly changes? While the water may look clean, that doesn't always mean it is. Do you have a water testing kit? :)

What fish are in your main tank? It might be beneficial to transfer the bigger ones over there as soon as they are big enough not to get eaten. That will free up some room in your fry tank.

If possible, feed the fry more often. Maybe 4-5 times per day. And if you can, suppliment in some high-protein foods like Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Tubifex Worms...etc. Frozen. Freeze-dried or Live will work. And I'd do more often water changes. The last thing you want in a small tank like that is bad water quality. Maybe step it up to weekly changes? While the water may look clean, that doesn't always mean it is. Do you have a water testing kit? :)

Thank you. Your suggestions are very helpful. No, I don't have a water tesing kit.
Bye ;)

The tank is too small for your platys by far, im not that great at working out tank dimensions but i'd say your tank is about 5gals which is too small for your platys- you need at least a 15gal for your platys, you will find they will have alot more vibrant colors and better health if you upgrade your tank which i really advise :nod: .
You should change and replace your tank water by at lest 20-30% a week, particually so because your tank is overstocked, do you use dechlorinator and how do you go about filter maintanence?

The tank is too small for your platys by far, im not that great at working out tank dimensions but i'd say your tank is about 5gals which is too small for your platys- you need at least a 15gal for your platys, you will find they will have alot more vibrant colors and better health if you upgrade your tank which i really advise :nod: .
You should change and replace your tank water by at lest 20-30% a week, particually so because your tank is overstocked, do you use dechlorinator and how do you go about filter maintanence?

I didn't know that bigger space effected the colors of the fish. It's really good to know. Thank you. :D
I'll chang the water more often as you adviced. Yes, I use dechlorinator. I clean the filter when it looks dirty.

Yeah if the fish are in too smaller tank it will generally stress them out and when fish are stressed they often go pale in color and in crampt conditions their activity levels will go down, there are alot of bonus's to getting a bigger tank not only for the fish and water quality but you will also generally enjoy seeing their true characters/personalitys coming out more when they are happy :thumbs: :) .
You sound like you are on the right track though, as for filter maintanence only clean the filter out in water from water changes as the filter sponge contains beneficial bacteria that break down toxins in the tank water, chlorine in tap water will kill off your beneficial bacteria as will over cleaning the filter sponge, you just want to clean the gunky bits out no more than once every 10days :nod: .
It will probably be worth investing in some water quality test kits as well, even the most experienced of fish keepers will own some if they are any good, test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are the only real way to know if your water quality is good, and water quality can be bad even if the water looks sparkling clean. Knowing whats going on in your water quality is very important if you have fish dying or they aern't looking too well as water quality issues are one of the most common causes for sick fish. Ammonia and nitrites should always be 0 and no more in a tank, nitrates should be kept under 40- things like ph, gh and kh aern't really important to know in comparsion to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

If you are upgrading your tank you will need to get a bigger filter to be effective at keeping the tank clean but to avoid the tank cycling(when you lose your beneficial bacteria and have to start a new colony and experince many water quality issues- for more info check out the pinned articles in the beginners section or do a search on the forum), keep the old filter running along side the new one for a week in the new tank while the fish are in the new tank.
Aditional info; tank temp should be around 24/26 degrees for platys preferably like most livebearers, you may need to upgrade the heater if you getting a bigger tank so it is powerful enough to heat the tank without breaking. Hope this info helps :) .

Wow! Fish are just like human beings, we are happy and be ourselves in a stress-free condition.
Your post is very informative for a novice like me. I'll check the water quality issues that you suggested. Thank you so much for your time, Tokis-Phoenix!

Yeah if the fish are in too smaller tank it will generally stress them out and when fish are stressed they often go pale in color and in crampt conditions their activity levels will go down, there are alot of bonus's to getting a bigger tank not only for the fish and water quality but you will also generally enjoy seeing their true characters/personalitys coming out more when they are happy :thumbs: :) .
You sound like you are on the right track though, as for filter maintanence only clean the filter out in water from water changes as the filter sponge contains beneficial bacteria that break down toxins in the tank water, chlorine in tap water will kill off your beneficial bacteria as will over cleaning the filter sponge, you just want to clean the gunky bits out no more than once every 10days :nod: .
It will probably be worth investing in some water quality test kits as well, even the most experienced of fish keepers will own some if they are any good, test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are the only real way to know if your water quality is good, and water quality can be bad even if the water looks sparkling clean. Knowing whats going on in your water quality is very important if you have fish dying or they aern't looking too well as water quality issues are one of the most common causes for sick fish. Ammonia and nitrites should always be 0 and no more in a tank, nitrates should be kept under 40- things like ph, gh and kh aern't really important to know in comparsion to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

If you are upgrading your tank you will need to get a bigger filter to be effective at keeping the tank clean but to avoid the tank cycling(when you lose your beneficial bacteria and have to start a new colony and experince many water quality issues- for more info check out the pinned articles in the beginners section or do a search on the forum), keep the old filter running along side the new one for a week in the new tank while the fish are in the new tank.
Aditional info; tank temp should be around 24/26 degrees for platys preferably like most livebearers, you may need to upgrade the heater if you getting a bigger tank so it is powerful enough to heat the tank without breaking. Hope this info helps :) .

:D :D :p

Most reactions

Back