Will i get unwanted fry?

Squishiebabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well today, it is absolutely essential that i take my 2 fish that passed away back to get a refund. But their policy i'm told, it that they give you new fish!....i don't really want any new ones yet, but if i did get a female fancy guppy like the male (i'm pretty sure it is)...will they mate? I really dont have room for fry, and btw, I GOT A BIGGER TANK with everything, needed, i'll calculate the size later.
Is there any way i could have either 2 males for the time being until the other get cycled, or a male and female that will not produce babies?
Thanks for your help...

The female guppy probably will already be pregnant, and yes if not the male will mate with her, if the tank isn't cycled i wouldn't advise anymore fish, you can always get store credit for the time being.

Well today i got my water tested there, and the guy was really nice and did it twice to make sure, and an extra ammonia test. The only thing wrong, he said was the pH was a bit high!!! ...i got some pH decreaser, and plan on using it in a few days, when the new guys arent so stressed maybe.
i bought two more guppies, on his advice, sine i have had the tank for a month, and my other is doing fine.
So far they look ok, and he said (i got 2 more males) that they should be okay.
Moving them to the 10 gallon in about a month...cant wait! (i'm waiting for this one to cycle, this time, thanks for all help on the Emergency. board lol)

so that means you have 3 males and a female?!?!?!? If i understood that right, that's a no no!!!! If all them males go after that female at one time, they'll prolly stress her 'till she dies :/ . If that's what you've got, you need to have a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 (male:female) that way the males won't be going after the same female al, the time.

:)

Actually i realy advise you buy your own water testing kits for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite as so often i hear the same old story of "my lfs tested my water and they said it was fine but when i tested it myself i found out it had problems etc" so often- part of testing your own water is part of being a responsable fish keeper :nod: .

Also im curious now as to what size tank/how many gallons it holds and what fish you have in it how many?
Do not buy any ph altering kits, i seriously doubt your ph is too high as guppys can live in a very wide range of ph's and ph boosters can cause alot of complications and unesarsary stress to your fish if you don't use it correctly, which is hard and not advised unless you are a very experienced fish keeper.

No no no...I now have 3 MALES!!
Sorry about that, i decided 2 more males....they chase eachother sometimes, i'm hoping that will be ok, nothing serious and i watched them last night for hours lol
Yes, when i do get a bit more money, definately before i get my new tank running, i will buy my own test kit, i kinda need to because i'm going to try this fishless cycling, so i dont lose any more...

Most reactions

Back