Will guppies work?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a community 25G with 9 corys, 6 glowlight danio and a albino bridtlenose pleco. My water hardness is 8DGH and I was planning on getting some guppies. My question is, will guppies work in my tank, and how many should I get if so, and in what ratio of males to females.

Water in the south east is often described as liquid rock as it's so hard. I am surprised to read that yours is 8 dH as that is lower than usual for London. Is that figure from your water company's website or from a home tester?

Water in the south east is often described as liquid rock as it's so hard. I am surprised to read that yours is 8 dH as that is lower than usual for London. Is that figure from your water company's website or from a home tester?
Home tester kit- I feel like my water must be harder- my LFS said our water is perfect for guppies

Assuming the water is as you say liquid rock, which I will check with my water provider, what would you suggest is an adequate number of guppies to add to my community tank?

What? No! All I'm saying to you to get 1 male per 3 females. For example you want to get 6 females then you would like to get 2 males so females don't get harrassed as much..
Ohhh perfect, I don’t know how many I should get for the tank so it won’t be overstocked so I guess that’s a issue

The Corys and bristlenose are quite messy fish when fully grown. I wouldn’t get many and be prepared for your stock to grow as they have a lot of babies.
I agree get a male and a few females and wait for your numbers to increase

The Corys and bristlenose are quite messy fish when fully grown. I wouldn’t get many and be prepared for your stock to grow as they have a lot of babies.
They are! I’m more than prepared for high maintenance which is why I got them :)

Most reactions

Back