Will Filters Get Quiter Over Time?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought a new filter (a fluval c) and it is a bit loud compared to my penguin 100 but I had my penguin 100 for maybe 7 years? I even tried the Vaseline on the propeller thing and it helped but still louder then my penguin. I was just wondering if time was a factor in quite filters.

Try putting as much water in the tank as possible to reduce the noise of the water splashing. That usually works for me with the Fluval hanging filter types.

I don't think it's really gonna get quieter... usually culprits for noise are bits of sediment stuck in it, or the water level being too low.  But I don't have any experience with your type of filter, I have penguins myself

well the sound isn't too big of a deal, it actually super quite but my penguin 100 is just dead silent and you actually have to try and listen to hear it. It's most likely because the fluval c has a higher flow rate then my penguin. I was just hoping It would become soundless somehow.

I don't have a Fluval C series filter but I did research them at one point.  If I remember correctly I read a lot of reviews where people said the filter was a bit noisy at first and then quieted down after a week or so.  I was looking at the C3 and C4.   

Most reactions

Back