Will Bristlenose Eat Their Own?

damon_m

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months ago in my community tank while cleaning I discovered a clutch of eggs on the underside of a pot, I have had two males and 3 females for about 5 years and was told the likelihood of them breeding was very slim due to the size of the males (almost 15cm) (females about 8-10cm). In my excitement I did not want to upset the nest by moving it and the dad to another tank and after two days the pot was empty.. I suspect the eggs were eaten by my cichlids. I moved the pot and the dad along with the 3 females to my other tank that was empty and hoped for another breed.

Last week I noticed dad had cleaned the floor of all sand and objects under the pot and a quick look revealed a heap of eggs!!

Yesterday the first wrigglers appeared and escaped the nest. I counted about 10 making their way around the tank still with egg sack attached. This morning I can only see about 3 of the babies and wonder if the 3 females might be feeding on them?? Dad is still in the nest and there is a large cluster off wrigglers still in there that Dad is guarding.

There is not much in the tank so I don't have trouble locating the wrigglers but where are the escaping one’s going?? Should I remove the females?? Perhaps they are finding their way back to the nest??

I have never been sure who is laying the eggs so I have just left all 3 in there. Two of the females have been sitting on the cave the whole time and dad even allows one in the pot with him and the babies.

IMG_1085.jpg

wriggler - escaped the nest
IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

One of the females
IMG_1091.jpg

The nest - you can just see dad inside the far pot guarding the young
IMG_1095.jpg

Possible mum sitting on the nesting pot - you can just see a wriggler on the rim of the right hand pot.

I highly doubt that the parents are eating them. Could just be hiding very well,after all you do have white sand lol.

Mine stayed in the cave they were laid in for about a week after they hatched, I could see them wriggling inside. Then one day I cam home to find one stuck to the glass in the way they do. It took around another two weeks before they had all ventured into the open.

EDIT, I doubt really that a bristle nose would be capable of eating fry, they don't have teeth, or jaws (I think)

in my experience they dont eat their young, you may find a fair few inside your filter though if you havent blocked the intake

I have one adult longfin male, one long fin female, and one albino standard female. Plus a continuing 'supply' of eggs/fry. None of the fry have been eaten by the adults and I now have dozens and dozens of baby bn's!! It would appear that once they start breeding they never stop!!!!

Most reactions

Back