Wild betta biotope ideas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's what I've tried to replicate for my imbellis
View attachment 307242
sorry for my stupid beginner question.
Aren't you afraid that it will jump out? I have a 60x30x30 tank that is open and I was looking for a glazier to build me the cover because everyone says that with wild bettas it is essential

Aren't you afraid that it will jump out? I have a 60x30x30 tank that is open and I was looking for a glazier to build me the cover because everyone says that with wild bettas it is essential
I had wild bettas in an open tank without any jumpers.

I think it just depends on the individual. As Emeraldking says, sometimes they are fine. But I had a B. splendens in an uncovered tank and it decided to go for a walk one night. I found it the next morning. Personally, I wouldn't chance it without a lid.

Over the years, I've enjoyed keeping Betta albimarginata, burdigala, coccina, edithae, foerschi, fusca, persephone, picta, prima, rubra, rutilans, simorum, simplex, smaragdina, strohi, and wild caught splendens and imbellis.

They ranged for 4 inch mouse coloured mouthbrooders from fast water to peat bog black or red ones at an inch. Each one of these fish was hard to keep well, and took a fair bit of reading pretty hard to find sources. And that number of species barely scratches the surface of the 76 species so far described.

And don't get me started on licorice gouramis - Parosphromenus, which are possibly cooler than wild type Bettas.

I'll wager that if you had unlimited resources (and could hire people to do maintenance...) with those 76 wild species, you could have 10 different habitat basic style set ups.

If startled, I expect they will all jump. Like killies, you can minimize the danger by having large leaves, Monstera or Pothos types hanging over the water. Or you can drop the water level. They like to wait til you get really attached to them before they jump.

Over the years, I've enjoyed keeping Betta albimarginata, burdigala, coccina, edithae, foerschi, fusca, persephone, picta, prima, rubra, rutilans, simorum, simplex, smaragdina, strohi, and wild caught splendens and imbellis.
Fantastic ! I would really like to know more about your experiences especially with imbellis , wild splendens and smaragdina.
I would like to know more about the values they were held to, if they have management problems as a couple like betta shows, if they have problems with other fish, how they behave with their children... I am also extremely interested in whether they are curious about the external world, whether they are interactive or shy. Unfortunately I think it's too early for me to manage other wild species except perhaps the antuta

Wild splendens were fast moving, short finned fish. They seemed less aggressive than domesticated for gambling bettas, but I base this on one pair. It isn't much of a sample. They tolerated some babies growing up with them, and males didn't fight.

I had moderately soft water, and they were kept and bred at 24c.

Betta imbellis were pretty well the same. smaragdina were a long time ago, and I didn't breed them. I don't think now that I kept them properly. My water was harder at that house, and the tank wasn't planted enough. If I recall correctly, the one female I had jumped out. There was a tiny opening as I had not put the top back correctly after a feeding.

All wild caught fish are either shy, or shoalers. They've experienced being hunted by birds, and like to stay safe. After a few months, they can relax, but not always. Domestic bettas were bred to kill each other for centuries, and their aggression is stronger than their caution. They come out to threaten you. For uncounted generations, shy bettas were culled as the gamblers on their fights wanted a good "show". We've only been keeping them as for their big fins and colours for a relatively short time - under a hundred years.

Fantastic ! I would really like to know more about your experiences especially with imbellis , wild splendens and smaragdina.
I would like to know more about the values they were held to, if they have management problems as a couple like betta shows, if they have problems with other fish, how they behave with their children... I am also extremely interested in whether they are curious about the external world, whether they are interactive or shy. Unfortunately I think it's too early for me to manage other wild species except perhaps the antuta
I have only kept imbellus. Here are some things I learned about them. They are relatively peaceful, but only relatively. I had a male/female pair in a custom 36" wide x 12" deep by 10" high tank, with tons of cover and plants and broken sight lines. The male picked on the female mercilessly. The female succumbed to the stress and died. They did breed, and I had two male young grow up. The three lived together fine for several months, then quite suddenly the two offspring turned on dad. I removed him before they killed him. Then they turned on each other. Once I removed the less dominant one, the lone remaining male wandered the tank until he pined away and died; I think he missed having company.

I would actually love to keep this species again. If I do, I would probably try them in a bigger tank, and either a male and a group of females, or a mixed-sex group of at least six or so. They are among the most beautiful fish I've ever kept, and yes, they are highly interactive with the outside world.

Most reactions

Back