Wierd coloration

WheelmanCA19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My chinese alge eater (labeled as generic alge eater, self identification) has this wierd coloration on his head. He's had it for probally a week now. He doesn't seem to have any less energy as compared to when I first got him (about 5 weeks ago). Anyone know what it is?

I named him Otto even though he isn't an Otto. :p

Attachments

• Otto.jpg
    Otto.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
All that yellow stuff on his face, is that what you're talking about? It looks natural. Does it appear like it's under or above the skin? What are you water parameters for future refernce?

Yeah, I was talking about the yellow stuff on his face. He didn't seem to have that one him when I got him, but it appeared a few weeks later later. It looks to be under the skin.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
GH 75
KH ~20
pH 6.8

It's a definite yellow color? I'd say fungus but you said it's under the skin. Any chance for a better pic? Tumor maybe? I thought tumors were white. Let's try for a better pic please.

It does look like a otocinclus, though not your typical Dwarf Oto.
Is this the only fish of this species in your tank, bright colourations like that could be part of a mating ritual.

Hes the only one in the tank. I'll try for a better picture this afternoon. As far as the color, I'm kinda colorblind, but I believe its yellow. I'll ask a roommate later as for a better description of it.

I'm not sure what it is, but mine seems to have the same thing... I was told mine was an otto, but the head was never the right color... i was trying to see if it was a different species, but i can't find anything... anyway, the tank i baught it from had about twenty, and they all had yellow heads... mine now looks like it has two or three holes by the gills on each side...
BTW, my tank has had higher ammonia than what is normally safe, because it is a new tank, and everything else is normal... I have 4 black skirt tetras, the suckerfish (i think it's an oto), and an african dwarf frog...

I have seen a few algae eaters at my LFS lately like that (and they have their fish in great condition). I thought it was normal. As it seemed like a yellow algae eater bred with the Chinese algae eater. But that was just my thought. :nod:

If its a chinese alage eater its just another colour variation. You can get them in their natural browny colour, a golden colour and marble which is a combination of the two

If its a chinese alage eater its just another colour variation. You can get them in their natural browny colour, a golden colour and marble which is a combination of the two
but if his changed color, it couldn't be a different breed... maybe mine, but it seems weird that they would change color...

Most reactions

Back