Why Wont My Mollie Have Her Fry? She Is Huge!

fatsally

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me figure out this problem. One of my mollies (who has had babies before) is pregnant. About four days ago she had twenty fry. She is still huge, if not more so. The only other fish in the tank with her are the fry and a small pleco. Water conditions are fine--I check them often. Temp is fine. She has given birth two other times in the same tank(10 gal). She is almost as big as a ping pong ball. I feel sorry for her. Is there anything I can do to encourage her or could there be a blockage? :/

She could be constipated, try feeding her a pea.

Did she have any difficulty giving birth?

Do her scales look alright or are they sticking out like a pinecone?

Her scales are fine--not sticking out.
I did not see the birth. I was away.
I will try the pea thing and see what happens.
Thanks a bunch.
:D

I tried the pea thing with my pregnant mollie. She is not constipated. I guess she is just waiting to have the rest of her babies, but she has got to be miserable. She swims and has a decent appetite. She does not appear to have any other problem. What if the babies are too big to be born safely? I hope she has them soon. Thanks for the advice. :)

my guppy looks huge all the time even after giving birth but she doesn't have more fry till like a month later but maybe thats just her

my guppy looks huge all the time even after giving birth but she doesn't have more fry till like a month later but maybe thats just her
Thanks, but now she is starting to tilt over a bit when she swims. I am afraid something is really wrong. She is bigger around than she is long. I will try to keep a good thought and hope for the best. The twenty babies she just had are doing great. :)

Sounds like she has something wrong in her swim bladder. There is a million possibilities, could you still post your water spesifics, it would help a lot.

My mollie died a couple of days ago. She was not pregnant--just bloated/inflated like a balloon. Is that a swim bladder problem or dropsy? Her scales never stuck out like a pinecone. All of her babies are doing great. By the way, Thanks for the responses and advice. I am new to this (fish keeping and forum talking). :)

Sorry to hear that. :( Glad her babies are doing good though!

She might have been bloated or constipated. It's hard to say. What do you feed?

She was not constipated--I did the pea thing. She ate mostly flakes and occasional baby shrimp. Do you know any treatment for swim bladder problems? One of her offspring (about 2 months old) was born either deformed or with a swim bladder problem. I could tell when he was itty bitty that he had trouble swimming. Now he is fine, except he swims funny ( straight up or down, in a spiral, etc). He only does this a little--mostly when he is waking up in the mornings. He eats fine and shows interest in the girls. His body is a bit flat (vertically? as in there is no roundness to him). :alien:

Most reactions

Back