Why so much poop?

Ok will try doing bigger water changes and nitrates nitrites Ammonia e.g Always show none of them if not a very small amount on my test strips I know they are bad for your tank but surely if there is so much poop the ammonia would go up ?

Not necessarily. As organic matter decomposes it produces ammonia and CO2, but the ammonia will be used by live plants if you have any and/or the nitrifying bacteria (AOB, which stands for ammonia oxidizing bacteria). If the latter, nitrite is produced and different bacteria (NOB, nitrite oxidizing bacteria) take that up, producing nitrate. Nitrate can be used by other bacteria in the substrate, or it may increase. If nitrate does show, water changes and live plants are the best ways to deal with it, along with not overstocking, not overfeeding, and keeping the substrate and filter clean.

When you say "always show none of them if not a very small amount," which one sometimes shows a small amount? I would hope nitrate, of the three, and never ammonia or nitrite.

Not necessarily. As organic matter decomposes it produces ammonia and CO2, but the ammonia will be used by live plants if you have any and/or the nitrifying bacteria (AOB, which stands for ammonia oxidizing bacteria). If the latter, nitrite is produced and different bacteria (NOB, nitrite oxidizing bacteria) take that up, producing nitrate. Nitrate can be used by other bacteria in the substrate, or it may increase. If nitrate does show, water changes and live plants are the best ways to deal with it, along with not overstocking, not overfeeding, and keeping the substrate and filter clean.

When you say "always show none of them if not a very small amount," which one sometimes shows a small amount? I would hope nitrate, of the three, and never ammonia or nitrite.
Yea I think I have read that somewhere but yes my strips are white and pink for nitrates nitrites and nitrites is always white whereas nitrates are occasionally tinted a little pink Ammonia is also always 0 and are nitrates important do I need them ? I know they aren’t harmful but I don’t think they are needed
Thank you

Nitrates are harmful especially if to high, always try and keep them under 20ppm max, under 10 even better, 0 perfect. If your tank is heavily planted you may not see nitrates if so it will be barely anything as the plants consume the ammonia before it can turn to nitrite then to nitrates. Your nitrates are probably caused by the waste build up but Byron will confirm that.

I agree. Ammonia and nitrite must always test zero. Nitrates need to be kept as low as possible. Every aquarium is biologically unique, but there are ways to ensure nitrates remain low. Not overstocking, not overfeeding, regular substantial water changes (once a week, 50-70% volume should), keeping the filter clean, vacuuming into the open substrate areas, and live plants especially floating plants.

Nitrate at zero would be ideal, but as low as possible and always below (well below) 20 ppm is the goal. Nitrates do harm fish, it depends upon the level, the exposure time, and the species, but all tropical freshwater fish are harmed long-term by nitrates.

I agree. Ammonia and nitrite must always test zero. Nitrates need to be kept as low as possible. Every aquarium is biologically unique, but there are ways to ensure nitrates remain low. Not overstocking, not overfeeding, regular substantial water changes (once a week, 50-70% volume should), keeping the filter clean, vacuuming into the open substrate areas, and live plants especially floating plants.

Nitrate at zero would be ideal, but as low as possible and always below (well below) 20 ppm is the goal. Nitrates do harm fish, it depends upon the level, the exposure time, and the species, but all tropical freshwater fish are harmed long-term by nitrates.
Thank you

Nitrates are harmful especially if to high, always try and keep them under 20ppm max, under 10 even better, 0 perfect. If your tank is heavily planted you may not see nitrates if so it will be barely anything as the plants consume the ammonia before it can turn to nitrite then to nitrates. Your nitrates are probably caused by the waste build up but Byron will confirm that.
[/Thank you

Most reactions

Back