Why Is My Tank Always So Dirty

Liquid skills

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok as title suggests i need help understanding why my tank is always so dirty i clean it every week i only have a few fish in it but there always fish mess at the bottom the tank is 130L 3ft by 1 ft by 1.5 ft

stock :
betta
3x frogs
1 bn
2 khuli loaches
1 hill stream loach

and i just placed 2 angels in there yesterday as they where being harrased by other fish in other tank so its not them but im not over stocked and its cleaned every week with the syphon so im completely confused :( any help?

i know the bn contributes a lot but he cant be making this much mess can he ?? suggestions for moving fish will also be appreciated (although i wont move the khulis and i physically cant move the betta and the angels are a temp thing)

now my larger tank 250L has 10X more fish in (estimate) and that is nearly completely clean as i syphaned the gravels yesterday and not much came up im so confused :(
thanks in advance

Is your filter working correctly?
Left over food can be a huge contributing factor, as long as the tank is properly filtered and all uneaten food removed there should be no other reason for.the water to be dirty.

yeh i have two filters and soon ill have an exturnal filter working with the smaller filter i dont feed very much and all food gets eaten thats whats confusing me ???

Hmmm I'm not sure then :/
I'll set to work on some Google research and see what I can come up with pal..

yeh hhhmmmmmmmm its proberly just the sand i know it does collect it on top but shouldnt be that much :( the only way i suppose i can clean it is remove all the plant and let it settle and try that what do u think?

That is probably a good thing to try, if dirt is collected in the sand then gets circle around the tank I guess it would have that effect.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes :)

yeh ill go give it a go now ill post back in about 20 mins lol ill clean all filter as well ill strip the filter to its basic components lol

How about sticking a powerhead close to the substrate, in the direction of the filters.
I'd say its your BN as there aren't any other really messy tankmates.

hhhhhmmm ill look into that power head thing

also i have done a water change even the mess basicly under the filter wont go up and i cant turn the flow up cause of the betta hhhhmmmmm perhaps i will baffle the filter i have an attachment that redirect the flow i could point the flow up so the flow dsnt blow the betta but sucks up the mess im a genius lol

What is your substrate, is it just regular sand? If it is then its probably just dirt and debris collecting in the sand and when the sand gets disturbed, all of the dirt and debris get moved around and then floats around in your tank.... Or do you have wood in your tank that could be releasing tannin making your water discolored

Most reactions

Back