Why Is My Platy A Fatty?

It's really not possible to pass dropsy on, so there's very little risk. Except if the dropsy has been caused by a parasitic infestation that can be passed on...

I wouldn't worry about that at the moment, though.

Good luck with him and sorry it's come to that...

I said give the fish peas just in case it was constipation. But now there are pics I can see its dropsy. Also it is possible for a fish with dropsy to explode (read it in a book) but I'm not sure how rare it is, I'm guessing pretty rare.

Thanks Liv15.... I didn't know about peas being good for constipation, but I do now...... I've been watching him all day today, and cant say that I've seen him have a poo..... but his scales are up aren't they......

:(

I use baking soda, they die in less than 15 seconds, just make sure you stir it up in water real good first let it settle for a minute and put the fish in. Had to do this with some tetras with neon tetra disease, they all died almost instantly.

I've never heard of baking soda used for euthanasia before.  I was interested so I looked into it a bit.

I'm not sure if baking soda causes death by increasing levels of carbon dioxide or by increasing salt concentration (sodium) but either way it doesn't sound like the most humane method.

I found this paper on humane methods of euthanasia  http://www.ecd-ge.ugent.be/ECD-huisstijl/LabAnimalPart2.pdf and it specifically mentions freezing (which I know a lot of people do) and carbon dioxide as not acceptable.

Hypothermia Putting fish into a freezer or crushed ice prolongs the period of consciousness in fish and does not reduce the ability to feel pain; therefore it should not be used as a method of euthanasia.

Carbon dioxide This is not acceptable for euthanasia of fish as it causes intense activity prior to loss of consciousness and is slow acting.

I agree with you daizeUK.. I looked it up after I read it - the reaction between Sodium Bicarbonate and water to produce a slightly alkaline solution with CO2 & Sodium Hydroxide.

It's the Sodium Hydroxide part I don't like the sound of...remember the scene from Fightclub where Tyler pours Lye on his alter ego's hand and it burns quite badly...that's Sodium Hydroxide and I don't think it's humane even if it is quick...

Well the deed is done! 

Took a small 'Tupperware' container with lid, added some tank water, 1/2 teaspoon of Clove oil, shook well to emulsify the oil and put him in
sad.png

4 gulps and he was still. Left him in there for 15 minutes..... and he was well gone. Seemed a very good way of doing it but.....

I happened to rub my eye after washing up the container and it stings like 'ell.... and I stink of 'winter mixtures' now who remembers those? Anyway, if my eyes sting, did I put him through any pain I wonder as they don't have eye lids like us?

Still, he is no more
sad.png
but I've learnt a lot today.....

Thanks to the forum

Best Regards
Tony

Most reactions

Back