Why Is My Algae Eater Turning Black?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheMrEd

Reaction score
I’ve had this Golden Chinese Algae Eater for a few months now and he seems to be very healthy and active. Although recently he started getting black spots on his body. Now it’s spread to most of his skin. Any ideas on what it could be?
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

It looks pretty symmetrical on both sides, does the it shows any other symptoms ? The fish on the picture looks healthy to me.

They are a line-bred variety that has a lot of albinism, so it suppresses the natural color patterns.

As the fish grow older. The natural colors and patterns may develop and show more.

If there is not any change in the comportment or any other sign of illness, I would think it's natural coloration coming out.

Looks a lot like colouration. Gold algae eaters don't always stay gold and can develop black, brown or grey markings.

It looks pretty symmetrical on both sides, does the it shows any other symptoms ? The fish on the picture looks healthy to me.

They are a line-bred variety that has a lot of albinism, so it suppresses the natural color patterns.

As the fish grow older. The natural colors and patterns may develop and show more.

If there is not any change in the comportment or any other sign of illness, I would think it's natural coloration coming out.

It’s not showing any other symptoms of illness. It’s very active and eats like regular. Also the other fish in my tank do not show any symptoms either. Thank you for the info 🙏

Most reactions

Back