Why Are My New Additions Constantly Dying?

What is in your quarantine tank?  could there be something wrong with substrate, an ornament, a plant?

If there is something in the main tank that the present fish have become used to or acclimatised to then I would be inclined to do partial water changes every couple of days for a while to neutralise whatever it is slowly as not to shock your fish, then introduce the new fish and carry on with the water changes gradually increasing the time in between.
I would also change half the filter sponge so not too much good bacteria is lost.....

Quarantine tank has a heater, sponge filter and a rock. All scrubbed clean before used.

I don't think a lot of big water changes is appropriate, very big tank and expensive water bills lol.
Also filter is an fx5 full of bio media, expensive to replace.

Im truly stumped as I keep the tanks in top condition and only chemical I use or that's aload my tank is the seachem prime ( or meds when needed) Ive not had any meds In tank for a very long time so its not them and I used carbon when finished treatment ( I know loaches cant use the white spot treatment I have) Unless there is a trace amount left In tank?  

Fluval-1200 said:
Nitrate is like 0 to 0.25.
I was thinking toxins from the fish but I was using main tank water in my qt water changes, they last longer in qt then main.
That figure, while not impossible, is suspect to me.

What is the nitrate reading of your water source (tap water?)? My tap water comes with ~40ppm nitrate in it, just like a lot of the Uk south coast.

How much water do you change and how often? I change ~50% in my active tanks every week, because of the baseline nitrate value and how much it raises each week by the food (protein, which makes ammonia>nitrite>nitrate).

Are you banging and shaking your liquid nitrate test reagents for a good minute or two before using them on test samples? 

Fluval-1200 said:
Nitrate is like 0 to 0.25.
I was thinking toxins from the fish but I was using main tank water in my qt water changes, they last longer in qt then main.
Odd number for nitrate, are you sure this is not nitrite?  My nitrate test kit does not report below 5ppm, let alone fractions of a ppm.

:) I know about water bills, mines out of control!
I wasn't thinking large changes, just 10% every couple of days see if it makes a difference,

I would also put a bucket out and let it sit for a couple of days before adding it to my aquarium... (Conditioned of course!)

Wow this is really confusing people

nic1 said:
smile.png
I know about water bills, mines out of control!
I wasn't thinking large changes, just 10% every couple of days see if it makes a difference,

I would also put a bucket out and let it sit for a couple of days before adding it to my aquarium... (Conditioned of course!)

Wow this is really confusing people
SW UK, never tested the water supply, however i've had no trouble conditioning it straight from the tap and putting it in (making sure to adjust temperature). I think i might see what affect leaving the water out has.

A lot of questions to answer.

Yes I bang and tap the test kits before use, I will redo my tests in the week and post the results.

I change 50% water every week or every 2 weeks without fail, I never go more than 2 weeks and ive tested on the 2 weeks mark and my levels are all safe.

I had this problem and it was Nitrate related.  The levels were literally off the charts.   Took me over a month of almost daily, small water changes to get it back to safe levels, and another month to e brave enough to introduce new fish.  Good luck.

Hi fluval...seems like your having a terrible time with new additions. Must be very frustrating!

I was wondering, do you normally perform water changes on the same day? And if so, do the deaths occur within a few days of your water change?

This is probably a silly question but did you cycle the quarentine tank?

I runs the sponge filter in my main tank for about 2 weeks before setting the qt tank up. That's the way ive been told to do it.

Tested the main tank for nitrate today, its 0 to 5.0, gave the bottles a good shake a bang etc etc.....That's after a week

Have you checked your tap-water levels too as it sometimes has nitrAtes present too.
Maybe the sponge filter simply wasn't ready after 2 weeks - did you challenge it in the qt tank with ammonia before adding fish?

Never tested tap water for nitrate but if it did have any it wouldn't be more than 5.0ppm else my tanks readings would be higher.

Never tested the sponge filter with ammonia but ive never had anything other than a trace of ammonia in the qt tank, once that trace is seen il give a 25% fresh water change.

I think im just going to put this down to crap quality fish and nothing todo with my tank's. I have in my eyes pristine condition water (unless someone wishes to prove me otherwise) 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5.0 nitrate. Not tested gh and kh for awhile but that wouldn't be a problem. Either a 25% or 30% water change every week, or every 2 weeks on some occasion's (water get tested before I touch it and it never causes a concern)
I will be scrubbing the qt out soon and resetting it for some new additions, il post how these ones go...

Most reactions

Back