Who Uses A Timer To Regulate Their Light?

We've just put a couple of timers on our 137G tank. One set of lights are on 10-8, the second set from 12-6. It made more sense to put them on this tank but we don't bother on our smaller ones.

Do you use a timer to regulate your light or do you manually turn it on?

I have a timer for my lights.. It gives me and my fish a little stability as far as when their lights are coming on/off. I think it puts a little less stress on my fish... Just my $.02

Oh yeah, light timers all the way man :D. I use the dial type you can buy at home depot for less than the cost of president jackson's face :shifty:

I use timers on all my tanks and with my iguana, i just hate getting up for work late and hurrying to get out the door, and having to worry all day whether the lights are on.

all mt tanks lights are on timers
as are all the moonlights too :good:

I have a small problem with my lighting (my fault)
I have wired all of my electrics through a junction box (heater filter lights and air pump) because I hate having lots of plugs, wires and extensions around.
now I want to have a timer for lighting and cannot think a way to do it without putting a plug on the lights.
I go to work at 7.30 and get my wife to turn on the lights at lunch time but if she is going out or weekend I need to juggle the times its a pain.

I have gone down the timer route as it appears that having a staggered light pattern helps to prevent the growth of algae. So a few hours during breakfast, off till late lunch then on from 4pm to about 11pm, giving me around the 12 hours of light that the plants require.

Ref the junction box, i was in the same boat with all of the electrics wired into one box which had switches, one for filter and one for whatever you decided. I went to Maplins electrics looking for a device that I could hardwire in that would act as a timer. They didn't sell one as such but they said it was possible to make one out of components, as I am not not that way inclined I unwired and added a plug, went to Tesco and got 3 mechanical timers for around £5.

Most reactions

Back