Who is this little gal/guy

geebea

Reaction score
Hi there all,
We are new to the forum but have been itching to post this question for about a year.
Our aquarium is small tropical tank with an ongoing war with blue green algae.
It has only ever contained a handful of guppies, neon tetra, a couple of snails and a couple of ghost shrimp in the tank.
We purchased all of the kit from a well known pet shed, one of the items that we purchased 6 months after set up were some moss balls.
Along with the balls was a small transparent tiny fry. Not one to turn down a freebee we adopted this ugly white dot and it seemed happy with his friends.
We named it Bonus.
We always go easy on the food but Bonus would eat most of the food, bumping the others away.
All was good for over a year until Bonus leapt in size from a couple of mm to now 4cm
As he grew the bullying became a problem until most of the fish had to be rehomed or sadly died.
Now he is the only fish in the tank, we would like to find more of its species or learn more about what will cohabit well.
We do lots of small water changes, filter cleaning and testing of the water; parameters were always very good.
Maybe too much light from a window which is making the BG Algae challenging, anyway, this post is about identifying what type of fish Bonus is.
We think maybe a Cichlid, he has a nearly non existent orange dorsal fin and so probably not a tetra.
His dorsal fin is not folded sideways, perhaps its swept back, but always has a low profile.
The picture is a bit rubbish, but all of his fins are tipped with a gold orange colour.
This picture was taken with only a white LED light in the tank.
We would love to hear your expert opinions.
View recent photos.png

typically rainbow fish are not that aggressive which confuses me. The species should be kept with at least 6 others so that might have been the problem.
actually, i take that back. neon dwarf rainbowfish CAN be aggressive toward smaller fish. they should be kept with peaceful fish their size.

Yes, that does sound about right to me. It sounds as though he will be better of in a shoal of about 8 or so. Your link says that correct feeding and presence of other males can also bring out their colouring more. It also suggests other fish types that can cohabit.

We ned to get to the bottom of this BG algae thing first before introducing more fish. Its REALLY persistent. It covers the bottom, the ornament, and the plant
The plant is still trying though with some new leaves - Arrow plant, I think its called but it is swamped by the BGA.
Given the chance the bacteria creates sheets on the glass in the areas that are more tricky to clean.
The water is crystal clear though.
In my mind we are going to have to put Bonus in a temp tank and reset the whole tank :(
Have tried Blue Exit and Green Exit chemicals as a last resort but it does very little.
Any thoughts but I don't think that there is a miracle cure.

BTW, I have found the Algae forum on the site and am reading.

Thanks again for your help working out what he is.

Cheers

Last edited:
I’m sure Maidenheads on the North Orbital Road just South of St Albans, Herts had some in earlier this week.

I’m sure Maidenheads on the North Orbital Road just South of St Albans, Herts had some in earlier this week.
Yes, i'm familiar with the place. We might need to see if they sell a small heated holding tank so we can take our time cleaning the large tank.

Yes, that does sound about right to me. It sounds as though he will be better of in a shoal of about 8 or so. Your link says that correct feeding and presence of other males can also bring out their colouring more. It also suggests other fish types that can cohabit.

We ned to get to the bottom of this BG algae thing first before introducing more fish. Its REALLY persistent. It covers the bottom, the ornament, and the plant
The plant is still trying though with some new leaves - Arrow plant, I think its called but it is swamped by the BGA.
Given the chance the bacteria creates sheets on the glass in the areas that are more tricky to clean.
The water is crystal clear though.
In my mind we are going to have to put Bonus in a temp tank and reset the whole tank :(
Have tried Blue Exit and Green Exit chemicals as a last resort but it does very little.
Any thoughts but I don't think that there is a miracle cure.

BTW, I have found the Algae forum on the site and am reading.

Thanks again for your help working out what he is.

Cheers
Unfortunately, I'm not experienced at all in algae. Have you tried daily 75% water changes?

Sorry, From the picture I think the fish is unhealthy genetically (small and out of proportion- curved spine, lacks depth in the body) and would not be inclined to build a shoal/ tank around him.

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced at all in algae. Have you tried daily 75% water changes?
We have done that for a period but there is so much BGA on the bottom that changing the water doesn't really work. The material needs to be scraped out by hand but you just cant get all of it no matter how hard. I think I will get some advice at maidenhead, see what they say. It's obviously something that I am doing wrong. I just need the education. Maybe a more shady spot would be best for the tank.

We have done that for a period but there is so much BGA on the bottom that changing the water doesn't really work. The material needs to be scraped out by hand but you just cant get all of it no matter how hard. I think I will get some advice at maidenhead, see what they say. It's obviously something that I am doing wrong. I just need the education. Maybe a more shady spot would be best for the tank.
If the tank is getting direct sunlight then yes, try a shadier spot.
I had BGA and after weeks of cleaning it off all the surfaces and 50%+/week water change, it finally subsided. I don't know if it went because of my efforts or just because it had run it's course. Maidenhead will want to sell you some chemical but this should always be a last resort.

The fish acted aggressively because it was on its own. Rainbows need company otherwise they stress out. You need to keep them in groups of at least 6, preferably 10 or more.

The fish is a male Melanotaenia praecox and he is really skinny. If he eats a lot but stays skinny, then he probably has intestinal worms. Section 3 of the following link has info on treating fish with worms.

The fish's diet should consist of about 50% plant matter and 50% insect larvae, shrimp, fish and other foods.

They are a lovely fish when kept in groups and fed properly. :)

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) is a photosynthetic bacteria that loves nutrients, slow water movement, low oxygen levels, and red light.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank. Offer more frozen or live foods and remove uneaten food after feeding.

Do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for at least 1 (preferably 2) weeks. Try to remove as much of blue green algae as possible. Lift ornaments out and hose them off outside too.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence and water movement around the bottom of the tank.

If you have fluorescent lights above the tank and they are more than 12 months old, replace them with new globes and starters. Get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

Add some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). These will reduce the light getting to the bottom of the tank, use up some nutrients, and provide the fish with some hiding places near the surface.

Most reactions

Back