Whitespot Treatment

black molly3

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi. my firefish seems to have a case of whitespot. what is the best treatment i could use to stop the disease. i have corals in my tank. a hammer a coral some polyps.

set up a QT tank and treat him with a copper based med, and run the tank with just corals for 6 weeks.

DO NOT put copper in the main tank!!!

hi i had white spot in my tank, marine tank with corals and fish, killed couple of crabs and a shrip but every thing else was fine. i used MYXAZIN and did 10% water change once a week. mine has gone after 3 weeks.

ye another tank would be best, but not always possible, if you carnt afford. I would try what i did it worked for me. 2 of my fish had the white spot, and there really healthy naw. yer it did have a downsite and killed the crab and shrimp, but got the infection off the fish and out of the water.

the copper will stay in the rocks, tank silicone and leach out for months to come. Copper will damage/kill inverts and corals. So if you ever intend to keep any of these in that tank again. Set up a QT.

Myxazin is Formaldehyde based. If you dose it in the presence of corals, shrimp, crabs or snails in a marine system, they are gone, finished, dead! Along with a lot of micro and macro fauna and flora on the live rock. As Truck said

There is no medication that is proven to work, that is safe to add to the main tank as almost all are Malachite Green, Methaline Blue, Copper, Formaldehyde or Potassium Permanganate based. All of these will kill invertebrates and corals

You need to either treat in Quarantine, or sit back and watch the diseases progress, hoping it does not kill too much :sad:

Some recommend treating in a bucket with fresh salt mixed water in, changing the bucket over to a new one daily, and sterilising the equipment in between. When I tried this though, I lost all my fish. while I cannot prove it, i suspect it was due to Ammonia spikes :sad:

All the best
rabbut

Most reactions

Back