Whitespot And Red Gills,

ibbledibble

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Have just had my boyfriend's mum on the phone asking for advice about her balloon molly.
She was bought from the LFS 2 weeks ago along with a male. within 2 days the male had died. Unfortunately she had not used a quarantine tank and withing the next few days, all the guppies in the tank died too! :sick:
The female seemed fine, but last week we went to see her and the molly had what looked like whitespot. None of the other fish in the tank showed any signs of it so the molly was moved to a hospital tank and treated full strength. The other tank was treated at half strength due to the clown loaches.
The molly has been undergoing treatment this week, but now there is a new problem. The molly has red gills that "look like they are bleeding" apparently. I have not seen the fish since last week, but would like some advice on what it could be? I am going to her house tomorrow and would like to be able to tell her something to help. I will be taking my master test kit round to check her water stats too.

She says the molly is not gasping for air.
There is a good surface disturbance from the UGF.
Temp is approx 26C

please help
:thanks:
jennet

Is the hospital tank cycled and has she been doing water changes? It might be something as simple as high ammonia levels.

Is the hospital tank cycled and has she been doing water changes? It might be something as simple as high ammonia levels.
hospital tank not cycled, but been doing water changes and tested 0 for ammonia and nitrite. i thought it might be that too, but apparently not.
read on another post that interpet whitespot med (which is what she has been using)needs to be mixed with HOT water before adding to the tank to activate it. so she's gonna try treating again this week, doing that. thanks for the help :good:

omega59 how is that comment helpful? she has treated the other tank and quarantined the sick fish. saying that basically all her fish are gonna catch it and then die is not very reassuring, nor does it seem to be particularly accurate from what i can tell. none of the other fish are showing any symptoms and as i understand it stressed fish are more susceptible to whitespot anyway. i repeat that although none of the other fish are showing any signs of problem she STILL treated there tank just to make sure. sorry if i misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Most reactions

Back