White Worm In Ghost Shrimp

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

miatiny

Reaction score
I have one of my ghost shrimp that has a white worm like strand in it and it seems to be growing. It also has green little balls inside. None of the others have it so I am wondering if something is wrong and if it potentially dangeous to my baby albino african clawed frogs. They have just morphes into froglets a week ago. Any advice woud be appreciated. Thank you

it looks exactly like this pic

http://cichlidforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1260612

Its Called Horsehair worm i think,

Never heard of horsehair worms.

green little balls will be eggs, the white line you describe is most probably the womb and is getting bigger as the eggs do

EDIT

looking at the pic it is parasitic if you say it looks the same, you wont be able to treat without killing the shrimp...the kindest thing IMO would be to kill it incase it gets in any other fish

green little balls will be eggs, the white line you describe is most probably the womb and is getting bigger as the eggs do

EDIT

looking at the pic it is parasitic if you say it looks the same, you wont be able to treat without killing the shrimp...the kindest thing IMO would be to kill it incase it gets in any other fish

Thank you very much for your advice. I took him out and my husband disposed of him as the worm was getting bigger and I was afraid it was going to bust out:(

Never heard of horsehair worms.

Yes they exist (Rainworms in UK) although know one knows their complete lifecycle AFAIK. They also tend to prey on grasshoppers / crickets, (but some on wasps / water beetles) grow inside then when they are ready to hatch the parasite literally instructs the host to commit suicide so it finds and jumps into water! It is here that the parasite erupts from the drowning host to continue it's lifecycle.

Check this out... (but not if you are squeamish!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ylDNMNNwaE...feature=related

I guess it can't be ruled out as a nematode parasite or similar if so might be worth quarantining the shrimp. Could it just be the gut showing through coloured food?

Thanks keenonfish.

Most reactions

Back