white stuff...

smellyangryman

Moved On
Reaction score
I resently set up a little 15gal nano tank. All is going awsome! my corals are growing already, and my fish is brighter than ever.
However, on the end of my live rock there is this white stuff that is starting to spread over the rock. Its like an underwater spider web, cept this is really thick.
Info would be great. Thanks guys.

Hi...Check out my link..is it white and chalky? If it is, it may just be coralline algae dieoff. Take a pic or look at the ones I posted and tell me if it is similar. SH

both wrong, i picked it off and it seems my LR is rotting! it smelt ready bad! i went to the lfs and they said it is a stage it goes through? is this true?

I bought 4 more kg's of live rock tonight, i also added another filter.
all is going good, my brittlestar has grown alot! he's a good cleaner. I found another crab, i cant wait to see whats in there tomorrow.
If i got any other prob's i will let you know, thats for the help.

If the live rock smells bad then the rock you have bought is NOT cured. Do not buy anything else for the tak until the tank has cycled as you are probably entering the throws of a large ammonia/nitrite swing.

i wish i red that before i purchased more live rock!!!!!!!!
what can i do??? is there anything?

Basically one of 2 things...

It will either cycle faster as the new lock (assuming its mature) will help the dieing liverock cycle faster.

Or

The uncured liverock will overpowere the new liverock and the entire tank will recycle.

well the the dieing rock is spreading as fast now that i have added the new live rock. I guess we just have to wait and see.

well i just checked my water parimeters, and it is BAD!
Ammonia - 10ppm
Nitrie - 5ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

What in the world happend???
I checked 2 nights ago and all these were fine.
What can i do? My LR seems fine, My damsel is swimming around heaps and eating. My crab is fine. My corals are out.
What's gonna happen

To quote Navarre:
Basically one of 2 things...

It will either cycle faster as the new lock (assuming its mature) will help the dieing liverock cycle faster.

Or

The uncured liverock will overpowere the new liverock and the entire tank will recycle

It seems as though your tank may be recycling!
-sorry- -_-

Ammonia will raise, then nitrites and then both will fall and nitrates are left.
During this time the ammonia may very well kill the livestock you have and this means crabs and fish too.
I would remove them to safety or you run the risk of killing them. NAno tanks are not for the foolhardy and really need care as they can spring suprises like this without warning. The very unstable nature of a nano tank always makes me feel that they should not be attempted by beginners.

I thought nano tanks were beginer tanks?
Where can i take them that is safe?
I am adding more of the pet shops water to mine.
With high ammonia, why isnt my damsel dead? my crabs are fine and eating, and my new live rock is doing good.
How long does this stage for for?

Nano tanks are definately not beginner tanks. The larger the tank the easier it is for beginners. I am only now brave enough to delve i nto the world of nano tanks.

Your fish "might" survive but thier is not guarentee. It will definately be stressful for the fish and other livestock. Damsels are extremly hardy though which is why its probably survived this long.

Navarre said:
Nano tanks are definately not beginner tanks. The larger the tank the easier it is for beginners. I am only now brave enough to delve i nto the world of nano tanks.

Your fish "might" survive but thier is not guarentee. It will definately be stressful for the fish and other livestock. Damsels are extremly hardy though which is why its probably survived this long.
I agree with Navarre. If you can, I would take the fish and crabs (and any corals you may have) back to the lfs temporarily if they'll let you.

Depending on the speed of the cycle, it could last from 1-2 wks...

Hmmm.... In FW, if you're going through a cycle with fish in the tank, then larger water changes every other day will help lower the levels for the fish to survive. The downside of that is that it prolongs the cycle.... I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to do this in a SW tank, but might be an option if your lfs can't hold your fish temporarily for you.

When I started my 10g nano, I added 7lbs of LR and then less than a week later, added in another 4-5lbs. I got the rock straight from my lfs's tanks and got them into my tank in less than an hour and was able to avoid any visible dieoff at all...

I really am confused about this.
You guys said everthing in my tank will die...
My damsel is doing great, eating fine, so are my crabs.
My ammonia is dropping abit, and so it my nitrate.
My nitrate is at 20ppm now.
Ammonia is still quite high.

its all going good in my eyes, but i guess we will see what happens! You guys are alot more experienced than me, so i aint argueing with anytrhing you say.

Most reactions

Back