White stuff in Salfin molly's eye

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Le Fishê

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well hello there, today I came back from work to find 1 of my salfin mollies with an white eye. It used to have black eyes. Not only that, but he was lying at the bottom of the tank, which is weird because he is quite active. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance.

Well hello there, today I came back from work to find 1 of my salfin mollies with an white eye. It used to have black eyes. Not only that, but he was lying at the bottom of the tank, which is weird because he is quite active. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance.
I agree that we might need pictures. However, based on your description, he might have a fungal infection. Separate him from the main tank and treat him with fungal treatment and aquarium salt. Make sure the water is on the warmer side (79-81) and keep it at that consistently. Observe for any further issues.

This problem was not successfully solved for me because I let it go for too long. If your fish is older, he might also be susceptible to more diseases as well. Mine ended up suffering from swim bladder disorder and didn't make it.

This is my main advice based on my experience and what you described but a picture would be great!

Pic of the fish may help.
I agree that we might need pictures. However, based on your description, he might have a fungal infection. Separate him from the main tank and treat him with fungal treatment and aquarium salt. Make sure the water is on the warmer side (79-81) and keep it at that consistently. Observe for any further issues.

This problem was not successfully solved for me because I let it go for too long. If your fish is older, he might also be susceptible to more diseases as well. Mine ended up suffering from swim bladder disorder and didn't make it.

This is my main advice based on my experience and what you described but a picture would be great!
I'll try and get some more but right now he is lying down behind the plants.

Attachments

• 20210422_163813.jpg
    20210422_163813.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210422_163833.jpg
    20210422_163833.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 68

Ive done some more research on it and it looks like popeye a bit.

Yes- I was trying to find the word for it before I commented it.

Popeye is best treated with warmer water and aquarium salt.
I've also just realised that my other male salfin molly is lying down next to this orange one, but he doesn't have popeye. Maybe, i should make a water change? Because its not very normal for those fish to be laying down during the day.

Sounds like poor water quality.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using a LIQUID test kit?

I've also just realised that my other male salfin molly is lying down next to this orange one, but he doesn't have popeye. Maybe, i should make a water change? Because its not very normal for those fish to be laying down during the day.
Not at all normal.

Test you water with the API master testing kit, do a large water change, raise water temp to around 79-80 and monitor for 24 hours. If the fish with popeye is persistent, remove him and treat his QT with aquarium salt and warm water. Monitor the other male molly.

0ppm ammonia, 0.54ppm nitrite and 35ppm nitrate
Nitrites are very dangerous. You need to strive for 0 and your nitrates are too high. The highest you want is 20ppm.

Do a large water change. Do NOT change filter media- rinse it in dirty tank water. Use SeaChem Prime if you can.

Nitrites are killers. Treat with 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt. Do an immediate 80% water change, and raise temp up SLOWLY to 80. 24 hours after the 80% water change, do a 50%, and treat again with aquarium salt. You can also use table salt - iodized or not -. DO NOT use sea salt. REMEMBER TO USE WATER CONDITIONER!!!

EDIT: Dissolve Aquarium Salt in tank water, then pour into the filter stream of the HOB. Not directly into the filter. Make sure it is 100% dissolved.

Nitrites are killers. Treat with 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt. Do an immediate 80% water change, and raise temp up SLOWLY to 80. 24 hours after the 80% water change, do a 50%, and treat again with aquarium salt. You can also use table salt - iodized or not -. DO NOT use sea salt. REMEMBER TO USE WATER CONDITIONER!!!

EDIT: Dissolve Aquarium Salt in tank water, then pour into the filter stream of the HOB. Not directly into the filter. Make sure it is 100% dissolved.
Why salt?

I'd just do a large WC with Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner.

Most reactions

Back