White spots on pleco gills

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is the ingredient?
View attachment 100104
image.jpg

The ingredients just say sea salt
Well it should be sodium chloride without any fillers or preservatives, so I would say 100% sea salt is ok. I use the aquarium salt by API but that's because it's on hand. You can also use kosher sea salt, so that should be fine

Sea salt will be more than sodium chloride as sea water contains lots of other salts as well. But it shouldn't have anti caking agents etc which sodium chloride table/cooking salt has.

No, don't use the salt in the picture you uploaded.

API makes some good aquarium salt, that's what I use.

It is normal for plecos to have a metallic shine near or on their gills. Does it look like it is actually growing out from him? Or is it level with his body?

sea salt is fine to use.

sea salt flakes is simply seawater that has been evaporated and the remaining salt crystals are boxed up and sold to people.

No, don't use the salt in the picture you uploaded.

API makes some good aquarium salt, that's what I use.

It is normal for plecos to have a metallic shine near or on their gills. Does it look like it is actually growing out from him? Or is it level with his body?
Yes it looks like a lump that moves on the gill area

Hmm... weird. I'll do some more research and then get back to you.

I circled the cheek spikes on my pleco to show you what I mean
March 29, 2020 51711 PM EDT.jpg

They have a spine there that flips up when they are being aggressive or as a defense mechanism to prevent being swallowed. Those little spine spikes spread out like a claw at the cheek area. That's what your pleco was doing in your vid, he was flexing his spine spikes.

I think I saw a bacterial growth on one of his bristles at the top of his head as well. It's kind of like when the barbells erode on cory catfish.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back