White Spot Help!

xtenrou

Reaction score
A few days ago, I took one of my Neon Tetras out from the main tank and into a small hospital tank becuase I saw that its tail fin was ragged and lot shorter than the other Tetras tails. (I thought it might either be sick or being bullied so I separated them just in case.) Today, I saw that the Tetra in my hospital tank has white spots on its tail and body, taking a look at the other 5 Neons in my main tank, I can see they have it too. Now I know I should get some White Spot treatment from the pet shop, but does White Spot treatment have copper in? I have a group of Cherry Shrimp who live in my main tank too, and I don't want to kill or hurt them.
Should I put the Tetra thats currently in the hospital tank back into the main tank and take out all the shrimp and put them into the hospital tank instead so I can treat the fish together without killing the shrimp? Or is that a little dramatic? Should I put the tetra thats in the hospital tank back into the main tank and use treatments and risk killing the shrimp?

My main tank is roughly 15 Gallons 24"x12" with a depth of 15" I have no idea what size my hospital tank is...its only small though.

Ive been trying to get some decent pictures of the fish for a while now, but they wont stay still enough for me to take one where you can see the white spots...
Heres one of the Tetra in the hospital tank with its ragged tail. Untitled.jpg

I had the same problem. Ich, but didn't want to kill my beloved shrimp. I upped the temp to 28 degrees (it quickens the life span of the white spot parasite), and I dosed with a half dose. Also, leave your lights off for as long as you can.

*Edit* Took out the link to my post, I remembered I got my advice from a guy at my LFS that loves shrimp.

So yeah, up your temp to 28 degC and give a half dose. I can't remember what I used, but I can check when I get home from work

Looking through google, and it mentions you can do some kind of treatment with salt? If I used this salt method, it wouldn't hurt the shrimp would it?

Most reactions

Back