White Dots?

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, I just noticed that some of my black neon tetra have white dots covered over them. I'm pretty sure they weren't there before. What's happening to them? Help please.

Sounds like it may be a case of ich(white spot).

Does it look anything like this?

ich.gif

Sounds like it may be a case of ich(white spot).

Does it look anything like this?

ich.gif
:crazy: Yes it does that's exactly what it looks like. I should've known, because one of the fish I bought had that and now like 2-3 of them have it!! Are they going to die? What do I do to fix it?

First, raise the temperature of your aquarium up to around 80 to 82 degrees F.

Then, go to your LFS and purchase some white spot(ich) medication.

Read the instructions very carefully and dose your tank accordingly.

Note: If you have any clown loaches or other scaleless fish in your tank, you should only use the medication at half dosage.

Also, if you have any carbon in your filters, you should remove it as carbon will effectively absorb the medication making it useless.

First, raise the temperature of your aquarium up to around 80 to 82 degrees F.

Then, go to your LFS and purchase some white spot(ich) medication.

Read the instructions very carefully and dose your tank accordingly.

Note: If you have any clown loaches or other scaleless fish in your tank, you should only use the medication at half dosage.

Also, if you have any carbon in your filters, you should remove it as carbon will effectively absorb the medication making it useless.
My heater doesn't have a way to make the temperature go up and down, right now it's at 78. My mom will buy the medication for ich when I'm at school. Will the medication harm shrimp? THanks.

Edit: The only fish I have in there ATM is the black neon tetra and the shrimp. How long will it take for them to recover and whats the chance of them not making it? I'm going to Wisconsin in 2 weeks so will it be gone by then?

That's strange, I haven't seen a heater that won't let you adjust it. Are you sure it doesn't have a controller on it?

I have never kept shrimp, so can't really advise you on that.

Other members will be able to give you information on whether you can use white spot treatment with shrimp.

Maybe you should post in the Tropical Fish Emergencies forum.

That's strange, I haven't seen a heater that won't let you adjust it. Are you sure it doesn't have a controller on it?

I have never kept shrimp, so can't really advise you on that.

Other members will be able to give you information on whether you can use white spot treatment with shrimp.

Maybe you should post in the Tropical Fish Emergencies forum.
Okay, will do. The heater is very basic, came with a kit. I'll edit this when I have a link to the emergency thread.

Yes, I believe there are very small "warmers" sold now that have no adjustment available (not recommended!) for small tanks.

Other WhiteSpot/Ich info: search and find any of the many posts by "oldman47" and use the link in his signature area for very good advice. And an extra post in the emergencies section might turn up Wilder or one of the other emergencies experts.

~~waterdrop~~

Yes, I believe there are very small "warmers" sold now that have no adjustment available (not recommended!) for small tanks.

Other WhiteSpot/Ich info: search and find any of the many posts by "oldman47" and use the link in his signature area for very good advice. And an extra post in the emergencies section might turn up Wilder or one of the other emergencies experts.

~~waterdrop~~
Okay thank you very much, I posted a thread in the emergency section.

Everyone who goes to this thread, please reply in this link
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=308121

Most reactions

Back