White algae

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've noticed on the suction cups of my heater and filter as well as my airstone tubing there is this coating of white type algae or something. What is it? :dunno: is it harmful? :unsure: I cleaned it all off just now but some got swooshed around in the tank..I just hope it isn't harmful.

I'm having a bacterial problem in there right now..maybe it's connected? :huh:

Actualy I'm thinking what you are describing as 'white algae' is limescale deposits... It's perfectly natural in hard-water areas and won't harm the fish.

Or is it fuzzy? If it is, it might be some kind of fungus in which case you should up water changes and general hygene within your tank or it may become a problem.

I get the same stuff, snails eat it up, hehe. I've never noticed it harming the fish, it's just unsightly. Put a ramshorn snail in your tank and it'll keep it cleaned up.

Linda

That would make sense if it's limescale - good for snail shells ;)

From what I understand, limescale is a hard, crystallizing substance. (more info here)

Elizabeth, if what you cleaned off is soft, and releases into the water looking like cotton thread or anything but hard bits, it's not likely limescale. I would guess some type of bacterial build-up. I have this in my one of my tanks, and it occurs in areas that are well-aereated, such as water tubing attached to an airstone, or under the filter flow. It's in my betta fry tank, and they don't seem to be bothered by it in the least! :dunno:

Hi, hmm...nope doesn't seem to be limescale deposits as it's soft and I can rub it off. Also I know where I live the water is pretty soft.

cation it sounds like it's what you have in your fry tank. I just wonder what it is :dunno: It seems to only attach itself on soft rubbery things like the suction cups and air tubing. It isn't fuzzy..it's smooth and just coats the suction cups and air tubing.

Strange :alien:

I just did a seach on google and came across a question by someone with the same problem. They said when they added an airstone they got this white film in their tank. Someone answered back and said that the white film was due to minerals in the water and that using an airstone increases the rate of evaporation and also more of this white film forming.

I just added 4 airstones to my betta tank for each divided sections so I guess it makes sense. They said it wasn't harmful so that's good...but it sure is ugly :sick:

elisabeth - if I ever get my microscope set up, I'll make a slide and let you know if it's alive or not. If it is, my guess is some type of harm,less bacteria. If it's not, it's probably mineralization.

Elisabeth83 said:
Hi, hmm...nope doesn't seem to be limescale deposits as it's soft and I can rub it off. Also I know where I live the water is pretty soft.

cation it sounds like it's what you have in your fry tank. I just wonder what it is :dunno: It seems to only attach itself on soft rubbery things like the suction cups and air tubing. It isn't fuzzy..it's smooth and just coats the suction cups and air tubing.

Strange :alien:
What about "pond-scum"? (e.g. Spirogyra sp.) I don't know what is it called in english, but it is usually in ponds but sometimes in aquariums too. It looks like algae, it's whitish stuff..

I've seen this too in my tanks sometimes on the heater suctions cups and the dial. The guppies and platy usually chomp it away :D so I guess its harmless to them. would be interested to see the results of it under the microscope :nod:

I get the same stuff on my airlines, etc. It is even on the airlines in the aging bin, with no light or fish, waste, etc. I believe it is minerals from the water. Snails work great for cleaning this up. Plecos will even eat it, as they eat more than just algae.

It's just minerial deposits. All water has minerials to a point whether it is soft or hard. I have lived with hard water all my life, and even with water with no fish, it still comes up. In hard water areas, if you set out a glass of water and let it evaporate naturally, you will see the white film left behind. The same thing happens along the top of your tanks water line when the water evaproates, and you're left with that white film at the top of the tank. That's just minerals that stayed there and dried up where as the white stuff on your suction cups is still wet, the minerials just settled there. Don't know why it seems to only do it on soft rubbery stuff. Maybe cause it is more porus so it sticks better. :dunno: I get it all over my one tank decoration all the time. It's annoying when I do a water change. When I pour the new water in, it goes all over the place and the only thing I can really do is let the filter take care of it till it settles again.

Already said: it's soft and I can rub it off

Which minerals are soft??

And if you have CaCO3 in your glass, you just can't rub it awya. You need some brush or vineger/citric acid (smells better :D) to remove it. It's hard and insoluble to water.

Hey, now I realized it... It is of course normal bacteria film! It's very common in suction cups. first I din't read carefully your post. So, don't worry - be happy :lol:

Ok. SOME minerals dissolve in water. If these build ups are on the suction cups IN the water, they are still wet. They have just settled on the suctions cups. Not all minerals crystlize or solidify when they settle in water. If that was the case, you would have clogged plumbing pipes all over the world due to settling over night, or when you are on vacation when the pipes are not in use and water is not moving. Don't bother asking for proof of reasearch either cause this is just life experience and common sence (for me anyway). And lime scale does break away and is soft when still wet. Have you every looked in your cars radiator and saw white stuff floating around? That's lime scale. Ever touch it? It's not hard, but still soft, and can and will flake off and float around. If it were to dry up, then it would get hard. The hard lime deposits you see, such as on your shower head, have had time to dry up. That is why it is hard. Oh, you may have misunderstood my previous post when I said "All water has minerials to a point whether it is soft or hard." I meant whether the water is soft or hard it still has minerals in it.

Edited to add: Sorry if I seemed agressive in this post. I have had a bad couple days as my Grandma has been sick and passed away this morning. I have not really been thinking too much before I speak (or in this case type) for the last 2 or 3 days.

AlexsDaddy I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. :( {{HUGS}}

Most reactions

Back