Nutrafin Unit -

Diffusion: bubble ladder
size: up to 20g
$21.99

Red Sea Unit -

Diffusion: venturi pump
size: up to 40g
$21.99

The dilemma is that everyone uses the nutrafin, but the red sea unit can be used on bigger tanks also.
What would you want to use and why? It's going to go on a 20g.

Thanks for the help. I'm ordering tonight.

Ive only used the nutrafin ones, so cant really comment. But DIY would be cheaper if you're able. And if you use a 2lt coke type bottle you can increase the CO2 production buy adding more yeast/sugar mix.

The red sea one on the plus side has a useful pump thing which I'm sure would help diffusion (and thinking about it is probably why it is rate for tanks up to 40g, more of the CO2 produced gets diffused into the water). On the down side, the refills are expensive, 6quid for 1 months supply (i don't know if you can use a DIY mix, but it doesn't look like it).

The nutrafin one (which BTW you can get from 15.99 from here has cheaper supplies (and even cheaper if you do a DIY mix) but the ladder isn't as efficient at dissolving the CO2 and I suspect that on a 20g you would get anywhere near the 30ppm you need.

Sam

Ive only used the nutrafin ones, so cant really comment. But DIY would be cheaper if you're able. And if you use a 2lt coke type bottle you can increase the CO2 production buy adding more yeast/sugar mix.

The red sea one on the plus side has a useful pump thing which I'm sure would help diffusion (and thinking about it is probably why it is rate for tanks up to 40g, more of the CO2 produced gets diffused into the water). On the down side, the refills are expensive, 6quid for 1 months supply (i don't know if you can use a DIY mix, but it doesn't look like it).

The nutrafin one (which BTW you can get from 15.99 from here has cheaper supplies (and even cheaper if you do a DIY mix) but the ladder isn't as efficient at dissolving the CO2 and I suspect that on a 20g you would get anywhere near the 30ppm you need.

Sam

why don't you think a diy mix can be used in the red sea co2? I was planning on my own mix when their supplied yeast runs out.

Most reactions

Back