Which Wood?

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd like to add some wood to my tank but I'm sure I read somewhere (on this forum probably but I can't find it now....) that there are some types that won't stain the water, so you can avoid the soaking thing? Did I totally make this up?

What are your favourite types and why? Which types give you the nicest colour?

I love the one that is kind of curly and red and also the long spindly types :wub:

Bought some redwood (nice branches) recently from LFS. All their pieces were pre-soaked so only needed a rinse under the shower. Took about a week to become waterlogged. Also have bogwood which has caves & holes for fish to hide in/swim through. I love planted tanks with lots of wood!

Manzanitza looks amazing, and doesnt stain, and sinks within a week or so

I like Mopani wood as well. Mine still leaches but not bad at all. Slight yellow tinge about a week after water change.

cool, I'll look into mopani then :)

Am I right that bogwood doesn't leach colour?

I couldn't find anything on ebay for manzanita :(

In my experience, you'll have to soak Mopani wood for a day or so. It'll still secrete tannins into the water, giving your tank a slight gold/yellow tinge but it's nothing that makes your tank look dirty like bogwood can (depending on your source). :)

Alm0stAwesome said:

Definately wrong there. I have two pieces of bogwood (admittedly large ones) that are still secreting tannins after 3 months. In addition they were soaked in hot water in the bath for two weeks prior to putting them in the tank. But with regular water changes, the look is nice and it will eventually go.
good.gif

Most reactions

Back