Which Water Test Kit - For Someone Who's Colour Blind?

BiorbGuy

Reaction score
I find it difficult to distinguish between some of the shades on my API Freshwater master test kit.

Does anyone have any opinions as to the best tests available?

I've been looking at the Seachem Multitest Ammonia and Nitrite/Nitrate test kits ( <a href="http://www.seachem.com/Products/Testing.html" target="_blank">http://www.seachem.com/Products/Testing.html</a> ) as well as the Ammonia Alert that sits permanently in the tank. The Seachem kit can test for just free ammonia or total ammonia.

I'm not bothered if it takes longer to develop the result, I just want to read the result easier.

I've also read that Salifert produce bold results though the Ammonia is a total reading like API rather than the option of just measuring free ammonia.

Thanks.

Edit:
To title to mention colour blindness.

If the API test is clear of ammonia it is a very clear pale yellow. There's no mistaking it. Any tinge of green and you have some ammonia present.

I don't find them that easy to read but they're all rather subjective on that score. :blink:

If the API test is clear of ammonia it is a very clear pale yellow. There's no mistaking it. Any tinge of green and you have some ammonia present.

I don't find them that easy to read but they're all rather subjective on that score. :blink:

Thanks Pammy but as I'm slightly colour blind I find the transitions a bit awkward. I understand the general idea that anything above zero is bad so aim for the lightest possible readings.

I might just get a Seachem kit. It seems the sensor is a ball that you cover with water and depending on the test add some reagent. The main difference would be the test result is a solid colour rather than a translucent liquid (the sensor is then recharged in a storage pot for future re-use)

I personally would choose the API kit but as you have a slight colour blindness issue then have you looked at the Salifert test kits ? they do not use colour but the principle of measuring levels i got one a KH/AlK as API does not cover that in the master fresh water kit.

hope this helps :good:

Regards onebto

I'll probably try and get a new API kit today, just hope P@H aren't too expensive, my LFS want £27 which is £10 more than fleabay inc. p&p.

Is it advantageous to have a free ammonia reading (as per seachem) or is it best just to take the stance that all ammonia should be eliminated whether free or neutralised?

Incidentally, I asked a couple of ebay sellers for the lot numbers so I can work out the expiry dates and none have replied!!!!

P@H is £27 as well.I got mine on Ebay a while back and expiry date was fine.

I'd just rung P@H then saw your post. Have ordered from eBay now and saved a tenner. I've also ordered some Seachem Prime as my Stress Coat will run out this week.

Most reactions

Back